Dean Sorenson (b. 1963) is an American composer, educator, trombonist, and clinician.
Mr. Sorenson earned degrees at the Eastman School of Music and the University of Minnesota. Currently, he is interim director of Jazz Studies and Performance at the University of Minnesota in Minneapolis.
Dean Sorenson is a prolific and highly sought after composer, trombonist, and clinician. His most recent publications, the Standard of Excellence Jazz Ensemble Method, Advanced Jazz Ensemble Method, and Jazz Combo Session, are a "must-have" for developing jazz ensembles and combos.
Dean spent two years touring the United States and Japan with the Glenn Miller Orchestra, playing trombone and writing many arrangements for the band. He is a Yamaha performing artist and maintains an active freelance schedule, playing for touring shows and a wide variety of local groups.
Works for Winds
- Autumn Celebration (2004)
- Beachfront Strut
- Fanfare for Minnesota (2017)
- Fiesta Sunrise (2001)
- Kilauea's Fountains (as arranger) (2005)
- Minnesota Fanfare (2017)
- Sea of Time, The (1996)
- Summit Fanfare (1997)
- Dean P. Sorenson, University of Minnesota Accessed 7 December 2015
- Dean Sorenson, Kjos Music Company Accessed 7 December 2015
- Dean Sorenson website Accessed 7 December 2015
- Heritage Encyclopedia of Band Music. "Dean Sorenson." Accessed 7 December 2015.