Daughter of the Stars
Subtitle: A Reminiscence on Shenandoah
B-flat Soprano Clarinet I-II-III
B-flat Bass Clarinet
B-flat Contrabass Clarinet
E-flat Alto Saxophone I-II
B-flat Tenor Saxophone
E-flat Baritone Saxophone
B-flat Trumpet I-II-III
Horn in F I-II-III-IV
Percussion I-II-III-IV, including:
- Bass Drum
- Suspended Cymbals (2)
- Triangle (4)
None discovered thus far.
In his preface, the composer writes:
This one-movement work introduces the tune into a rather abstract setting before proceeding to other material found in the work. The letters of the word "Shenandoah" are matched to pitches. A seldom-used rhythm, the barcarole, rocks back and forth until the evenly repeated chords lay groundwork for a rather more surreal set of three-note chordal melodic fragments. The work hints at its beginning and ends quietly with respect for the history of the region, the tune ascending toward its place of rest as daughters of the stars are wont to do.
Daughter of the Stars, based on the folk tune Shenandoah, was commissioned by the Bishop Ireton Symphonic Wind ensemble and conducted by Dr. Garwood Whaley for the opening of their new concert hall.
- Program Note from Teaching Music Through Performance in Band
- Audio CD: US. Marine Band (Timothy W. Foley, conductor) - 1998
None discovered thus far.
To submit a performance please join The Wind Repertory Project
- University of Texas Arlington Wind Symphony (Douglas Stotter, conductor) – 21 February 2020 (CBDNA 2020 Southwestern Division Conference, Norman, Okla.)
- University of Texas, Arlington, Wind Symphony (Douglas Stotter, conductor) – 22 November 2019
Works for Winds by This Composer
- Adagietto (1992)
- The Beaded Leaf
- Concertino for Alto Saxophone and Wind Ensemble (1955)
- Danzon-Memory (1991)
- Daughter of the Stars (1998)
- Dawn's Early Light (1987)
- Divertissement No. 1 (1993)
- The Drums of Summer (1997)
- Ginger Marmalade (1978)
- Helix (1966)
- The Leaves Are Falling (1964)
- Mask of Night (1968)
- Meditation on “I Am for Peace” (1990)
- The Passing Bell (1974)
- Polyphonies for Percussion (1960)
- Remembrance (1962)
- Recuerdo (1966)
- Scherzo, Chorale, and Aria Serena (2002)
- Shadow Wood
- The Solitary Dancer (1969)
- Star Edge (1965)
- Symphony for Drums and Wind Orchestra (1963)
- Symphony No. 2, "Lost Songs"
- Transylvania Fanfare (1953)
- Variations on a Handmade Theme
- Wings (1984)
- Benson, W. (1998). Daughter of the Stars : A Reminiscence on Shenandoah [score]. Meredith Music Publications: Fort Lauderdale, Fla.
- Miles, Richard B. 2000. Teaching Music Through Performance in Band. Volume 3. Chicago: GIA Publications. pp. 461-467.
- Warren Benson website