Dan Rager (b. 1956, Cleveland, Ohio) is an American composer and educator.
Dr. Rager holds bachelor's and master's degrees in composition and theory from Cleveland State University, and doctoral credentials in music education from Boston University.
Dr. Rager has over 250 compositions and arrangements published. These works include symphonies, concertos, divertimentos and a large assortment of works for brass, woodwind, percussion and choral. His compositions are in a variety of styles from classical, jazz to contemporary tonal and atonal works. Many are on state required school contest lists and cataloged in the annual top 100 published compositions.
His compositions have been performed and recorded by The Cleveland Orchestra, The Cleveland Chamber Symphony, Frederick Fennell Symphonic Winds, The Washington Winds, and countless other orchestras and wind bands worldwide.
Dr. Rager's accolades include awards from The American Composers Forum, The Continental Harmony Project, ASCAP, The John S. and James L. Knight Foundation, The Rockefeller Foundation, The Target Foundation, The Foundation Orchestra Association (FOA), the Arthur M. Kaplan Award, two honorary doctorate awards, from the Saratov Conservatory (Russia) and the Buenos Aires Culture of Education in Argentina.
In addition, Dr. Rager was the first American conductor/composer from Ohio (USA) invited to conduct and lecture in Russia, which subsequently provides annual tours throughout the country. In 2009, he co- founded the NACUSA (National Association of Composers USA). In 2013, Professor Rager was the first American music educator invited to Argentina. He annually conducts and lectures at the Gilardo Gilardi Music Conservatory, among others, in La Plata and Buenos Aries. In 2018 he embarked on a national conducting tour of Argentina, performing with a variety of wind-bands and chamber orchestras.
Works for Winds
- Amazing Grace (1998)
- Argentine Dances (2015)
- As Torrents in Spring (2017)
- The Band Came Back (2004)
- Be Thou My Vision (Rager)
- Brassology (2018)
- Brazilian Folk Song (2007)
- Bridge to the Millennium
- Cherbic Hymn, based on The Great Entrance (2008)
- Colours of Saratov (2003/2010)
- A Concert March (2008)
- Concerto for F Horn and Winds
- Contrapuntal Concert March (1997)
- Coriolan Overture (1996)
- Fiddle-Faddle (2011)
- Furiant, III. Scherzo, Sym. no. 6 (2011)
- Largo (Symphony No. 9), The New World (1998)
- My Faith Looks Up to Thee (1996)
- Ode to a Clocktower (2005)
- Rhythmic Metamorphosis, Sym. No. 3 (2019)
- The Rosewood, Concerto No. 2 (2012)
- Russian Folk Dances (2006)
- Russian Folk Suite No. 1 (2004)
- State of Mind (2003)
- Stille Nacht (2004)
- The Summer Knows (2011)