Crown Imperial (arr Bocook)
William Walton (arr. Jay Bocook)
Year: 1937 / 1998
Duration: c. 4:00
Difficulty: III (see Ratings for explanation)
Publisher: Hal Leonard
Cost: Score and Parts (print) - $65.00 | Score Only (print) - $7.50
For availability information, see Discussion tab, above.
C Piccolo/Flute I-II
B-flat Soprano Clarinet I-II-III
E-flat Alto Clarinet
B-flat Bass Clarinet
E-flat Alto Saxophone I-II
B-flat Tenor Saxophone
E-flat Baritone Saxophone
B-flat Trumpet I-II-III
Horn in F I-II
- Bass Drum
- Percussion Auxiliary
- Snare Drum
None discovered thus far.
This work was commissioned by the British Broadcasting Corp. for the coronation of King George VI on May 12, 1937. The BBC Orchestra has premiered the work (with many composer recalls) six days earlier. The title is taken from the poem In Honour of the City of London by William Dunbar (1465-1520) and the quotation "In beauty bearing the Crown Imperial," was quoted by Walton at the head of his original score.
The enormous strength and sense of tonality of this brilliant coronation march come from the Tudor choral style which Walton knew so well. The first section has a quietly rhythmic opening which gradually builds to a splendid climax. A broad and stately melody, typically English in its majestic sonority, then provides the contrast to the first section, and the two themes are repeated and varied in the march to the finale.
- Program Note from Program Notes for Band
Crown Imperial was originally composed for the coronation of King Edward VIII. However, Edward abdicated his throne and Crown Imperial was performed at the coronation of King George VI instead. Crown Imperial was also chosen to be performed at the coronation of Queen Elizabeth II in 1953 and as the recessional piece in the wedding of Prince William and Catherine Middleton in 2011.
- Program Note from Wikipedia
- Minnesota: III
- South Carolina: III
To submit a performance please join The Wind Repertory Project
- Red Carpet High School Honor Band (Oklahoma) – 16 January 2016
Works for Winds by This Composer
- Coronation Te Deum (arr. Naylor) (1953/1982)
- Crown Imperial (arr. Duthoit) (1937)
- Crown Imperial (arr. Bocook) (1937/1998)
- Crown Imperial (arr. Noble) (1937/2014)
- Façade (1922/1951)
- March for "A History of the English Speaking Peoples," A (arr. Noble) (1959/2011)
- Miniatures for Wind Band (arr. Wiggins) (1940(?)/1974)
- Orb and Sceptre (arr. Noble) (1953/2014)
- Prelude and Fugue (arr. Noble) (1961/2011)
- Scapino (arr. Taylor) (1941/1950/)
- Spitfire Prelude (arr. Bashford) (1942/1968)
- Suite from "Henry V" (tr. Phillips) (1944/1980)
- Crown Imperial (march), Wikipedia
- Smith, Norman E. (2002). Program Notes for Band. Chicago: GIA Publications, pp. 624.
- Walton, W.; Bocook, J. (1998). Crown Imperial [score]. Hal Leonard: Milwaukee, Wisc.