Concerto for Clarinet
Solo B-flat Clarinet
E-flat Soprano Clarinet
B-flat Soprano Clarinet I-II-III
B-flat Bass Clarinet
B-flat Soprano Saxophone
E-flat Alto Saxophone I-II
B-flat Tenor Saxophone I-II
E-flat Baritone Saxophone
B-flat Trumpet I-II-III
Horn in F I-II-III-IV
B-flat Flugenhorn I-II
Percussion I-II-III-IV, including:
- Bass Drum
- Crash Cymbals
- Drum Set
- Snare Drum
- Suspended Cymbal
- Temple Blocks
None discovered thus far.
Concerto for Clarinet is a work full of emotions and rhythm. With a soft touch of jazz it becomes a very easily enjoyable piece to all lovers of good music. At glance, this concerto exploits a wide range of the technical possibilities of the clarinet, making use of most of its range. The virtuosity it presents in much of the concerto nicely contrasts with some of its middle section, in which the melodies blend in with the environment, with a fresh and passionate approach.
During this section the composer is capable of pushing the limits of dynamics through the use of infinite pianissimos that hypnotize us until realizing the pure essence of music.
In the final section, he makes the clarinet virtuoso showcase his/her playing abilities whilst demonstrating the greatest technique, all wrapped up in a catchy rhythmic that will thrill us until the end.
It is a work intended for an audience open to rhythmic and harmonic variety, and who is willing to receive a series of sensations that only good music knows how to offer.
Dedicated to the great Belgian clarinetist Eddy Vanoosthuyse, this concert was composed by Navarro in the Christmas of 2006. It was premiered in Brussels, March 2007.
- Program Note from publisher
None discovered thus far.
To submit a performance please join The Wind Repertory Project
- Banda Departamental Del Valle (Cali, Colombia) (Rubén Darío Gómez, conductor) - 26 May 2022
- University of North Florida (Jacksonville) Wind Symphony (Erin Bodnar, conductor; Alyssa Barry, clarinet) – 19 February 2020
- University of Cincinnati (Ohio) College-Conservatory of Music Wind Ensemble (Thomas Gamboa, conductor) – 19 February 2020
- Colorado State University (Ft. Collins) Wind Ensemble (Shelby Chipman, conductor; Wesley Ferreira, clarinet) - 6 March 2019 (84th Annual ABA National Convention)
- University of Washington (Seattle) Wind Ensemble (Timothy Salzman, conductor; Ben Lulich, clarinet) – 12 March 2019
- Shenandoah Conservatory (Winchester, Va.) Wind Ensemble (Timothy Robblee, conductor; Garrick Zoeter, clarinet) - 2 March 2019
- Western Michigan (Muskegon) Concert Winds (Gail A. Brechting, conductor) – 2 May 2018 (ACB 2018 Annual Convention (Buffalo, N.Y.))
- Walnut Creek (Calif.) Concert Band (Harvey Benstein, conductor; Hilary Zirkle, clarinet) – 28 November 2017
- Lawrence University (Appleton, Wisc.) Wind Ensemble (Andrew Mast, conductor; David Bell, clarinet) – 26 February 2017
- Banda Municipal de Música de Manizales (Colombia) (Oscar Navarro, conductor; Javier Asdrúbal Vinasco, clarinet) – 16 April 2011
Works for Winds by This Composer
- Bestiarium Suite
- Concerto for Oboe and Wind Band. See: Legacy
- Concerto for Clarinet (2006)
- Downey Overture (2011)
- El Arca de Noé (2011)
- El Olimpo de los Dioses (tr. Alvarez and Navarro) (2015)
- Font Negra (2015)
- The Fly. See: Bestiarium Suite
- The Gods of Olympus. See: El Olimpo de los Dioses
- Hell And Heaven (2019)
- Hispania (2013)
- II Concerto (2012)
- Jumper Clarinet (2009/2016)
- Latent Emotions (2016)
- Legacy (2015/2016)
- The Mountains of Switzerland (2018)
- The Musketeers (2019)
- Shanghai (2009)
- The 7 Trumpets of the Apocalypse
- Navarro, O. (2009). Concerto : Concerto for Clarinet and Wind Band [score]. Valencia Rivera D.L..
- Oscar Navarro website Accessed 31 January 2017