Concerto for Bassoon and Wind Ensemble
1. Andante con moto – 8:55
2. Allegro vivace – 3:45
3. Largo – 8:25
4. Allegro molto – 4:00
B-flat Soprano Clarinet I-II
B-flat Trumpet I-II
Horn in F I-II
(percussion detail desired)
None discovered thus far.
As commissioning bassoonist Jeffrey Keesecker wrote after the concerto’s premiere, “Eric has composed a modern masterpiece, a profound work of depth and meaning that captures the soul of the bassoon.” Following its 2002 U.S. world premiere, Ewazen’s concerto made its European debut in Sweden the following year. It has since become a favorite recital piece and a mainstay at state contests nationwide.
- Program Note from publisher
Eric Ewazen’s Concerto for Bassoon and Wind Orchestra was commissioned by James Croft and the Florida State Winds for bassoonist colleague Jeffery Keesecker. It is a work that makes a distinct contribution to a genre with sparse resources.
The four movements of the concerto display the wide expressive and virtuosic capabilities of the solo instrument. The first movement, following an extended pastoral setting, introduces the solo bassoon in a lengthy lyric reflection. Although there are moments of dramatic intensity, the basic sound world is contemplative. The second movement is both playful and energetic with the solo voice constantly stretching ranges while the ensemble provides punctuated accompaniment. The third is a lovely ballad, quite reserved, at once plaintive and soulful. An energetic dance movement in compound meter brings the work to an exhilarating conclusion.
- Program Note from liner notes of Marc CD 2003 WASBE 11th Conference (Florida State University Wind Orchestra)
- Audio CD: Florida State University Wind Orchestra (James Croft, conductor; Jeffery Keesecker, bassoon)
None discovered thus far.
To submit a performance please join The Wind Repertory Project
- Rowan University (Glassboro, N.J.) Wind Ensemble (Joseph Higgins, conductor; Zachary Feingold, bassoon) - 3 March 2022
- University of Iowa (Iowa City) Symphony Band (Mark Heidel, conductor; Benjamin Coelho, bassoon) – 21 November 2019
- Encore Wind Ensemble (Saint Paul, Minn.) (Jerry Luckhardt, conductor; Ariel Detwiler, bassoon) – 6 October 2019
- University of Minnesota (Minneapolis) Wind Ensemble (Emily Threinen, conductor; Ariel Detwiler, bassoon) – 26 April 2019
- Bemidji (Minn.) State University Wind Ensemble (Scott Guidry, conductor; Miriam Webber, bassoon) – 29 October 2017
- Stanford University (Palo Alto, Calif.) Wind Symphony Giancarlo Aquilanti conductor; Caley Petrucci, bassoon) - 2016
- St. Olaf Band (Northfield, Minn.) (Josh John, bassoon; Timothy Mahr, conductor) - 31 January 2012
Works for Winds by This Composer
- Celestial Dancers (2007)
- Celtic Hymns and Dances (1990/1995)
- Concert Fanfare (2000)
- Concerto for Bass Trombone or Tuba and Wind Ensemble (arr. Allen) (2000)
- Concerto for Bassoon and Wind Ensemble (2004)
- Concerto for Marimba and Chamber Ensemble (orch. Lasley) (1999/2007)
- Concerto for Marimba and Wind Ensemble (orch. Allen) (1999/)
- Concerto for Oboe and Wind Ensemble (2010)
- Fanfarría Castellana (2012)
- Fantasia for Seven Trumpets
- Flight (2004)
- Hold Fast Your Dreams (2010)
- A Hymn for the Lost and Living (2002)
- Legacy (2000)
- On Wings of Song (2010)
- Shadowcatcher (1996)
- Southern Landscapes (2004)
- Symphony in Brass (1992)
- Triple Concerto (2013)
- Visions of Light (2003/2006)
- A Western Fanfare (1997)
- Eric Ewazen website Accessed 28 October 2017
- Ewazen, E.; Keesecker, J. (2004). Concerto for Bassoon and Wind Ensemble [score]. Southern Music Co.: San Antonio, Tx.