Duration: c. 8:00
Difficulty: V (see Ratings for explanation)
Cost: Score and Parts - Out of print.
For availability information, see Discussion tab, above.
1. Vintage Foxtrot
3. Greek Dance
E-flat Soprano Clarinet
B-flat Soprano Clarinet I-II-III
B-flat Bass Clarinet
E-flat Contrabass Clarinet
E-flat Alto Saxophone I-II
B-flat Tenor Saxophone
E-flat Baritone Saxophone
Horn in F I-II-III-IV
Banjo (or substitute)
Percussion I-II-III-IV, including:
- Bass Drum
- Crash Cymbal
- Snare Drum
- Temple Blocks
None discovered thus far.
This interesting and long-popular feature for solo trumpet, trombone and tuba includes a variety of rhythms, harmonic content, melodic lines, and dynamics. The work has been compared to Kurt Weill's Threepenny Opera, including a sense of sarcasm throughout. The first movement, Vintage Fox Trot, begins with trio alone exchanging technical and legato parts. The calm middle movement, Lullaby, is followed by Greek Dance, a fast 7/8 movement which provides an energetic, climactic conclusion.
- Program Note from Program Notes for Band
(Needed - please join the WRP if you can help.)
None discovered thus far.
To submit a performance please join The Wind Repertory Project
- Colorado State University (Fort Collins) Wind Symphony (Rebecca Phillips, conductor; CSU Graduate Student Brass Trio) - 21 April 2023
- Chelmsford (Mass.) Community Band (Lucinda Ellert, conductor) - 2 November 2014
Works for Winds by This Composer
- American Holiday (1983)
- Armed Force Salute (as arranger, with Dossett) (1979?/1996)
- Carol of the Drum (as arranger) (1941/1959)
- Charlie Chaplin Band Portrait (as arranger) (1971)
- Concertino for Three Brass and Band (1970)
- Concerto Op. 5, No. 6 (as arranger)
- An Ellington Portrait (as arranger)
- Fandango (as arranger)
- Glider Pilots Reunion March (1981)
- Golden Age of the Xylophone (1983)
- Marches Blue and Grey (1976)
- The Observing Visitor (as arranger) (/1980)
- Passion in Paint (as arranger)
- Rainbow Ripples (as arranger) (1926/1986)
- A Salute to the Armed Services (as arranger) (1979?)
- Second Concerto for Trumpet (1969)
- Sinfonia Sacra (1970)
- Star-Spangled Banner, The (arr Werle) (as arranger)
- Tamboo (as arranger) (1953)
- The U.S. Air Force March (as arranger) (1939/)
- Walt Disney Band Showcase (1969)
- Heritage Encyclopedia of Band Music. "Floyd Werle." Accessed 2 November 2014.
- Smith, Norman E. (2002). Program Notes for Band. Chicago: GIA Publications, pp. 631-632.
- Werle, F. (1970). Concertino for Three Brass and Band [score]. Bourne Co.: [s.l.]