This work bears the designation Opus 26.
E-flat Soprano Clarinet
B-flat Soprano Clarinet Solo
B-flat Soprano Clarinet I-II-III
E-flat Alto Clarinet
B-flat Bass Clarinet
E-flat Alto Saxophone I-II
B-flat Tenor Saxophone
E-flat Baritone Saxophone
B-flat Cornet Solo-I-II-III
Horn in F I-II-III-IV
Timpani Percussion, including:
- Bass Drum
- Snare Drum
None discovered thus far.
Carl Maria von Weber (1786-1826) originally wrote his Concertino in Eb, Op. 26 in 1811 for famed German clarinetist Heinrich Baermann, and it is typical of the florid, early Romantic period style of Weber's instrumental concertos. The piece has become well known to American performers because of this celebrated band transcription by Mayhew Lake.
- Program Note from publisher
Concertino, Op. 26, by Weber is one of the great works of the clarinetists' repertoire. Its first performance as on April 5, 1811, and the concert was such a success that the composer was commissioned to write two more selections for the clarinet. These fine works brought even greater fame to Weber, already a highly respected composer, and established the clarinet as a leading instrument for the expression of Romantic music. This concertino to this day remains the most popular solo in the clarinetists' repertoire.
The work opens with a slow introduction and proceeds to a leisurely theme followed by several contrasting variations.
- Program Note from Program Notes for Band
None discovered thus far.
To submit a performance please join The Wind Repertory Project
- State College Area (Penn.) Municipal Band (Darrin Thornton, conductor; Brandy Davis, clarinet) - 14 May 2023
- Austin (Tx.) Civic Wind Ensemble (Robert Laguna, conductor; Devin Hillery, clarinet) - 11 December 2022
- Emporia (Kan.) State University Wind Ensemble (Gary Ziek, conductor; Dawn McConkie, clarinet) - 29 April 2022
- Texas Woman’s University (Denton) Wind Symphony (Carter Biggers, conductor; Crysten Ivy, clarinet) – 12 February 2019
- Butler University (Indianapolis, Ind.) Wind Ensemble (Michael Colburn, conductor; Nolan Cardenas, clarinet) – 25 February 2018
- Otterbein University (Westerville, Ohio) Wind Ensemble (Michael Yonchak, conductor; Hild Peersen, clarinet) – 29 November 2017
- McPherson (Kan.) College Concert Band (Kento Aizawa, clarinet) – 20 November 2016
- Los Angeles Symphonic Winds (Charles Fernandez, conductor; nine unisonal clarinets) - 26 October 2014
- Ithaca College (N.Y.) Concert Band (Mark Fonder, conductor; massed clarinets) - 2012
- Lakota West Symphonic Winds (West Chester, Ohio) (Gregory Snyder, conductor; Raymond Santos, clarinet) – 21 December 2000 (2000 Midwest Clinic)
Works for Winds by This Composer
- Abu Hassan Overture
- Andante and Hungarian Rondo (arr. Mitchell) (1809/c. 1990)
- Andante and Hungarian Rondo (arr. Rogers) (1809/2001)
- Andante and Hungarian Rondo (arr. Weait) (1809/1998)
- Bassoon Concerto (tr. Rogers) (1811/2021)
- Concertino (arr. Reed) (1811/1962)
- Concertino for Clarinet (arr. Lake) (1811/1924)
- Concertino for Oboe and Winds (ed. Klocker) (1809/1981)
- Concertino Op. 26 (tr. Nefs) (1811/2019)
- Concertino Op 26 for Clarinet and Band (arr. Smith) (1811/)
- Concerto for Bassoon (arr. Schmalz) (1811/1989)
- Concerto No. 1, Op. 73
- Der Freischütz Overture (arr. Moses-Tobani) (1821/1922)
- Der Freischütz Overture (arr. Sedlák) (1821/1989)
- Fantasia and Rondo (arr. Snavely) (1815/1968)
- Grand Duo Concertante (arr. Keith McDaniel)
- Hungarian Fantasy (ed. Rogers)
- Invitation to the Dance (arr. Meyrelles) (1816/1891)
- Jubel Overture (tr. Patterson) (1818)
- Marcia (arr. Wagner) (1802-03?/?)
- Oberon Overture (arr. Lake) (1826/1937)
- Oberon Overture (arr. Tobani) (1826/1898)
- Oberon Overture (tr. Hindsley) (1826/197-?)
- Overture to "Euryanthe" (arr. Weller) (1823/1888)
- Peter Schmoll (arr. Smith) (1802/1960)
- Second Concerto for Clarinet (arr. Brown) (1811/1949/1968)
- Second Concerto for Clarinet (arr. Kopetz) (1811)
- Concertino for larinet (Weber), Wikipedia Accessed 13 April 2020
- Girsberger, Russ. Percussion Assignments for Band & Wind Ensemble: Volume 2 L-Z. Galesville, MD: Meredith Music Publications, 2004, 332. Print.
- Heritage Encyclopedia of Band Music. "Carl Maria von Weber." Accessed 27 October 2014.
- Smith, Norman E. (2002). Program Notes for Band. Chicago: GIA Publications, pp. 627.
- Weber, C.; Lake, M. (1924). Concertino: Solo for Bb Clarinet: Opus 26 [score]. Fischer: New York.