Classic Overture in C
François-Joseph Gossec (ed. Richard Franko Goldman and Roger Smith)
Duration: c. 6:00
Difficulty: IV (see Ratings for explanation)
Publisher: Theodore Presser
Cost: Score and Parts (print) - $145.00 | Score Only (print) - $8.99
For additional availability information, see Discussion tab, above.
E-flat Soprano Clarinet
B-flat Soprano Clarinet I-II-III
E-flat Alto Clarinet
B-flat Bass Clarinet
E-flat Alto Saxophone I-II
B-flat Tenor Saxophone
E-flat Baritone Saxophone
B-flat Cornets I-II
Horn in E-flat I-II-III-IV
None discovered thus far.
In 1789, a group of forty-five wind and percussion players, gathered together by a young musician named Sarrette, formed the band of the National Guard. A year later the band had increased to seventy members with Francois Joseph Gossec as bandmaster. Gossec's interest in the wind band was demonstrated by three symphonies, several marches, and many hymns for choir and winds which he wrote while living in Paris.
The Overture in C was written in 1794 and is one of the many works written for large wind ensemble during the Classical period. The wind band had become immensely popular in the revolutionary period of French history and occupied an important place in the many festivals, parades, and rallies held by the revolutionaries. This overture shows the wind band at its best. The tripartite structure is simple and unadorned, without lengthy codas or extended developments. It remains throughout a work of beauty and charm that is thoroughly idiomatic of the group for which it was composed.
- Program Note by William V. Johnson for the Cuesta Wind Ensemble concert program, 15 December 1996
- Audio CD: Hiroshima Wind Orchestra (Yoshihiro Kimura, conductor) - 2009
- Indiana: ISSMA SENIOR BAND GROUP II
- Kansas: V
- Louisiana: III
- Maryland: V
- North Carolina: V
- Tennessee: IV
To submit a performance please join The Wind Repertory Project
- University of Tennessee (Knoxville) Concert Band (Fuller Lyon, conductor) - 27 February 2023
- Portland (Ore.) Community Wind Band – 31 May 2015
Works for Winds by this Composer
- Classic Overture in C (ed. Goldman and Smith) (1794/1951)
- Funeral March (Gossec)
- Le Grande Simphonie en Ut (ed. Kehl) (1794/2019)
- Marche Lugubre (ed. Dabelstein) (1790/2020)
- Military Symphony in F (arr. Goldman) (1793/1950)
- Simphonie Militaire (arr. Amis) (1793/2013)
- Gossec, F.; Goldman, R.; Smith, R. (1955). Classic Overture in C [score]. Mercury Music: N.Y.