City of Gold
This work is the first movement of the composer's Symphony No. 1, "New Day Rising."
Duration: c. 8:28
Difficulty: V (see Ratings for explanation)
Publisher: C.L. Barnhouse
Cost: Score and Parts - $100.00 | Score Only - $8.00
B-flat Soprano Clarinet I-II-III
B-flat Bass Clarinet
E-flat Alto Saxophone I-II
B-flat Tenor Saxophone
E-flat Baritone Saxophone
B-flat Trumpet I-II-III
Horn in F I-II-III-IV
Percussion I-II-III-IV-V, including:
- Bass Drum
- Crash Cymbals
- Siren Whistle
- Snare Drum
- Splash Cymbal
- Suspended Cymbal
None discovered thus far.
In commemoration of the 1906 San Francisco Earthquake Centennial and dedicated to the Contra Costa Wind Symphony, in celebration of their 25th anniversary, Duane Carroll, conductor.
- Program Note from score
In 2005, I had the distinct pleasure of spending several months writing my first symphony. I am forever in debt to Duane Carroll and the Contra Costa Wind Symphony for asking me to undertake such a daunting task. Symphony No. 1,"New Day Rising" was written to commemorate the centennial of the great 1906 earthquake in San Francisco, and I was fortunate enough to conduct the premiere of the piece on April 18, 2006, in that beautiful city, exactly 100 years to the day.
The piece begins with an ominous and foreboding prologue that signifies the danger beneath the Earth and the destruction that will soon ensue. The music soon fades into a glorious picture of San Francisco at the turn of the 20th century. It is a vibrant, colorful place where we hear the sounds of ragtime and trolley cars and the city is bustling with life and commerce.
- Program Note by composer
- Audio: Reference recording. Ensemble and conductor unknown
- Audio CD: Washington Winds (Edward Petersen, conductor) - 2007
None discovered thus far.
To submit a performance please join The Wind Repertory Project
- Riverside High School (Painesville, Ohio) High School Wind Ensemble (David A. Schwartz, conductor) - January 2017
- Johnson Honors Band (New Hampshire) (Andrew Boysen, Jr., conductor) – Summer 2014
Works for Winds by This Composer
- And the Earth Trembled: See Symphony No. 1, "New Day Rising"
- Casey at the Bat (1996?)
- Celebration Fanfare (2007)
- Celebration Fanfare (arr. Romeyn) (2007/2019)
- Defying Gravity (2004)
- Fate of the Gods (2001)
- Fate of the Gods (arr. Conaway) (2001/2009)
- Goddess of Fire (2006)
- Heaven's Light (2004)
- Heaven's Light (arr. Romeyn) (2004/2018)
- Hopetown Holiday
- In the Temple of Zion (1997)
- Into the Raging River (1999)
- Main Street Celebration
- Merry Christmas, Everyone! (2007)
- Mt Diablo: A Symphonic Portrait
- New Day Rising: See Symphony No. 1, "New Day Rising"
- Pilatus: Mountain of Dragons (2002)
- Pilatus: Mountain of Dragons (arr. Conaway) (2002/2012)
- Portrait of Freedom (2002)
- Rise of the Firebird (2006)
- River of Life (1995)
- Sedona (2000)
- Sedona (arr. Romeyn) (2000/2017)
- Sun Valley Flourish (arr. Shaffer) (2008/2020)
- Swans Island Sojourn
- Symphony No. 1, "New Day Rising" (2007)
- Towards a New Horizon
- Where Eagles Soar (2003)
- The Witch and the Saint (2005)
- The Witch and the Saint (arr. Conaway) (2004/2010)
- Reineke, S. (2007). Symphony No. 1: New Day Rising [score]. C.L. Barnhouse: Oskaloosa, Iowa.