Children's Folksong Suite
1. Túrós (Girls') Game – 1:25
2. They Brought Up the Rooster – 2:35
3. Go Round, Sweetheart, Go Round – 1:15
4. Dawn, O Day! – 1:50
5. Parsley & Celery – 1:30
Flute I-II (II doubles piccolo)
Bb Soprano Clarinet I-II-III
Bb Bass Clarinet
Eb Alto Saxophone I-II
Bb Tenor Saxophone
Eb Baritone Saxophone
Bb Trumpet I-II-III
Horn in F I-II
Percussion I-II-III-IV-V-VI, including: (Percussion IV-V-VI are optional)
- Bass Drum
- Cymbals (crash and suspended)
- Snare Drum
None discovered thus far.
Children's Folksong Suite for concert band is based on five Hungarian folk melodies with a simple, child-like character that have been culled from sources published between 1813 and 1896. The five melodies are also found in a collection of Hungarian and Slovakian folk songs in Bela Bartok's piano collection entitled For Children. As with Bartok's Mikrokosmos and his Forty-four Violin Duets, For Children is an expression of Bartok's interest in composing accessible works for young musicians that introduces them to contemporary harmonic resources rarely encountered at the beginning level.
Similarly, the five folk melodies set in Children's Folksong Suite have been completely re-harmonized and, in some instances, expanded. Although not bound by common-practice theoretical expectations, Children's Folksong Suite preserves each piece's unique, child-like character.
Children's Folksong Suite is dedicated to the members of the Leslie Middle School Band (Salem, Oregon) and their conductor Dr. Danh Pham, who commissioned the work.
- Program Note by publisher
None discovered thus far.
- Louisiana: IV. Complete
- Texas: IV. Complete
To submit a performance please join The Wind Repertory Project
- Texas Tech University (Lubbock) University Band – 6 May 2018
- Illinois State University (Normal) University Band (Marykatheryne E. Kuhne, conductor) – 5 October 2017
- Indiana University-Purdue University Fort Wayne Symphonic Band (Daniel Tembras, conductor) – 8 October 2015
Works for Winds by this Composer
- Celebration Fanfare (2003)
- Centenary Anthem
- Children's Folksong Suite (2007)
- Concerto Gaucho (2007)
- Divertimento for Brass Quintet
- Elegy for the Wall's Unnamed (2015)
- Eloi, Eloi (2015)
- Emblems of Sacrifice (2016)
- From Glory to Glory (2011)
- Lateral Perspectives
- Peloton (2018)
- Sojourn of Dreams (2015)
- Songs of Paradise (1941/2011)
- Star Dust (arr Walczyk) (as arranger) (2013)
- Symphony No. 2 (2010)
- Symphony No. 3 (2013)
- Symphony No. 4 (2017)
- Symphony No. 5 (2018)
- Visionplace of Souls (2001/2008)
- Pham, Danh T. "Children's Folksong Suite." In Teaching Music through Performance in Band. Volume 9, edit. & comp. by Richard Miles, 336-344. Chicago: GIA Publications, 2013.
- Walczyk, K. (2007). Children's Folksong Suite : For Concert Band [score]. Keveli Music: McMinnville, Ore.