B-flat Soprano Clarinet I-II-III
B-flat Bass Clarinet
E-flat Alto Saxophone I-II
B-flat Tenor Saxophone
E-flat Baritone Saxophone (optional)
B-flat Trumpet I-II-III
String Bass (optional)
- Bass Drum
- Cowbells (4)
- Snare Drum
- Triangle (2, similar in pitch)
- Wood Block
On all percussion parts: after measure 14, an empty measure was incorrectly inserted (an erroneous 15th measure). This incorrect measure of rest should be corrected in all percussion parts. All measure numbers in percussion parts are off by one number following the erroneous 15th measure.
The idea for Charm came to me immediately after I first met the Scarsdale (N.Y.) Middle School Band and its talented director, Nicholas Lieto. The school is only a fifteen-minute drive from my house, and on the trip home, I imagined a sort of mystical harmonic palette with triangles ringing over a pentatonic melody as if a spell had been cast. I realized when I got to my piano and began playing it that it would have to be written in the irregular (and difficult) meter of 7/8.
I decided to call it Charm because the music conjures up magic, good-luck charms, and such, and I was also thinking of the other meaning of the word, that intangible quality possessed by certain people places that truly can cast a spell.
Charm was commissioned by BandQuest® for the Scarsdale Middle School Band, Nicholas Lieto, conductor. It was premiered at Scarsdale Middle School on May 9, 2012. While my inexperience with this genre lead me to compose a more difficult piece than I had intended, the students in Scarsdale rose to the challenge brilliantly.
- Program Note by composer
Composed by 2012 Pulitzer Prize-winner Kevin Puts, Charm is a short, joyful piece written in the meter 7/8. Of the title, Puts writes, “I decided to call it Charm because, for me, the music conjures up magic, good-luck charms and such, and I was also thinking of the other meaning of the word, that intangible quality possessed by certain people and places that truly can cast a spell.”
- Program Note by publisher
Winner of the Pulitzer Prize in 2012 for his opera Silent Night, Kevin Puts is hailed as one of the most important composers of his generation. Charm was commissioned by the American Composers Forum in 2012 as part of their BandQuest® series, with the intention to create and promote new, fresh music to the middle school repertoire by today’s leading composers.
- Program Note by the Clear Creek High School Wind Ensemble concert program, 20 December 2013
None discovered thus far.
- Georgia: IV
To submit a performance please join The Wind Repertory Project
- West Virginia University (Morgantown) Symphonic Band (Cheldon Williams, conductor) - 17 November 2020
- University of Alabama (Tuscaloosa) University Band (Rebecca Cichy, conductor) – 26 March 2019
- Los Banos High School Concert Band (Danielle Cavazos, conductor) - 16 March 2019 (2019 Sutherland Wind Festival (Fresno, Calif.)
- Wartburg College (Waverly, Iowa) Meistersinger Ninth-Grade Honor Band (Russell Kramer, conductor) – 3 February 2019
- University of North Georgia (Gainesville) Wind Ensemble (J. Ashley Jarrell, conductor) – 4 December 2018
- Westbrook (Me.) High School Band (Kyle Smith, conductor) – 8 November 2018
- The Ohio State University (Columbus) University Band (Brent Levine, conductor) – 9 October 2018
- Indiana University (Bloomington) All-Campus Band (Sean C. Phelan and Ryan M. Yahl, conductors) – 17 April 2018
- Association of Texas Small School Bands (ATSSB) Concert Band (Matthew McInturf, conductor) - 17 February 2018 (2018 TMEA Conference, San Antonio)
- W.F. West High School (Chehalis, Wash.) Wind Ensemble (Adam Campagna, conductor) - 7 March 2017
- University of Minnesota (Minneapolis) Gold Campus Band (Cory Near, conductor) – 23 February 2017
- Association of Texas Small School Bands (ATSSB) Concert Band (Jeff Gershman, conductor) - 11 February 2017 (2017 TMEA Conference, San Antonio)
- Macalester College Wind Ensemble (Shelley Hanson, conductor) - 22 November 2015
- University of North Texas (Denton) University Band (Jacqueline Townsend, conductor) – 7 October 2015
- Clear Creek High School (League City, Tex.) Wind Ensemble (Stephen Meyer, conductor) - 20 December 2013 (2013 Midwest Clinic)
- Austin Peay State University Symphonic Band (John Schnettler, conductor) 30 April 2013
- Scarsdale (N.Y.) Middle School Band (Nicholas Lieto, conductor) - 9 May 2012 *Premiere Performance*
Works for Winds by this Composer
- Charm (2012)
- Chorus of Light
- Elegy (arr. Ward) (2006/2011)
- Millennium Canons (arr. Spede) (2001/2003)
- Network (tr. Kelly) (1997/2013)
- Cardany, Brian M. "Charm." In Teaching Music through Performance in Band. Volume 11, Compiled and edited by Richard Miles, 152-158. Chicago: GIA Publications, 2018.
- Puts, K. (2012). Charm [score]. American composers Forum: St. Paul, Minn.