Chandler L. Wilson (b. 18 April 1984, Miami, Fla.) is an American composer, conductor and educator.
Chandler L. Wilson is a native of Miami, Fla. He attended Florida A&M University (FAMU) where he earned his Bachelor of Science degree in music education. While a student at FAMU, he served as the university band president and section leader of the saxophones. During his time at FAMU, he was selected as the student arranger and conductor for the marching and symphonic bands and was selected as one of the first student staff members for the "Marching 100". Dr. Wilson earned a Master of Arts degree in wind band conducting from the Indiana University of Pennsylvania where he studied with Dr. Jack Stamp. He received his Ph.D. in music education with an emphasis in wind band conducting from Florida State University. Dr. Wilson has studied conducting under the batons of Prof. Richard Clary, Dr. Jack Stamp, Dr. Julian White, Dr. Shelby Chipman, Dr. Roby George, Maestro Raffaele Ponti, and Mr. Neil Jenkins.
Dr. Wilson served as band director at Hollywood Hills High School (2008-2012). Under his direction, the students consistently earned Superior ratings in concert and marching band evaluative events. In 2011, the Hollywood Hills Spartan Pride Marching Band appeared on National TV while participating in the McDonalds Thanksgiving Day Parade in Chicago, IL. Dr. Wilson, also served as band director at Cooper City High School (2014-2016), in Cooper City, FL. In December of 2015, the Cooper City Marching Band participated in the Sugar Bowl's marching band competition where they were named "Grand Champions." While maintaining consistent Superior ratings with Cooper City High School band program, Dr. Wilson was the director and supervisor of three concert bands, two jazz bands, two winter guard programs, and marching band.
In 2020 he is the assistant director of athletic bands and assistant professor of music education at Florida State University.
Outside of the classroom, Dr. Wilson served as the associate conductor of the Broward Symphonic Band under Neil Jenkins from 2010 to 2016. He has also served as assistant conductor of the Music Ambassadors Europe Music Tour in the summers of 2010 and 2012.
Many compositions of Dr. Wilson have been premiered and performed on the concert band stage with All-County/District Honor Bands and All-State Bands. He has also had selections performed at the Music for All National Festival and the Midwest International Band and Orchestra Clinic. His selection, "Legends of the Galaxy (A Cosmic Fanfare)," was ranked in the Top 100 band compositions in the American Band College/Band World Magazine/Western International Band Clinic Literature List for 2016.
He holds professional memberships in the National Association for Music Educators, Kappa Kappa Psi National Honorary Band Fraternity, Pi Kappa Lambda National Music Honor Society, and is an honorary member "Friend of the Arts" of Sigma Alpha Iota and Tau Beta Sigma. Dr. Wilson is a recipient of the Florida Bandmasters Association "Tom Bishop Award" and is also a member of ASCAP (American Society of Composers, Authors, and Publishers).
Works for Winds
All Wind Works
- Castles in Europe (as arranger) (1914/2020)
- Conversations (2018)
- Elevation (2023)
- Escape to Arcadia (2015)
- Fanfare for Winds and Percussion (2016/2020)
- Fanfare to the Stars (2014)
- Festival de la Noche (2011)
- High Intensity (2021)
- High Intensity (Flex instrumentation) (2021)
- In the Spirit of Unity (2017)
- Journey Through the Grassy River (2010)
- Just Vibe! (2020)
- L’Historie Inconne de l’Amour
- Legends of the Galaxy (2016)
- Night Chase (2020)
- Night Chase (Flex instrumentation) (2020)
- Spirit of Hope (2013)
- Suite Forty-Four (2019)
- Sunscapes (2017)
- Zenith (2021)
- Chandler L. Wilson, C.L. Barnhouse Accessed 20 December 2019
- "Chandler L. Wilson." College of Music. Florida State University. Web. Accessed 31 August 2020
- Chandler Wilson website Accessed 21 October 2020
- Heritage Encyclopedia of Band Music. "Chandler Wilson." Accessed 3 January 2017
- The Horizon Leans Forward…, compiled and edited by Erik Kar Jun Leung, GIA Publications, 2021, p. 513.
- Larcom, Geoff. "Experienced educator, composer and band director Chandler Wilson named...". EMU Today, 24 July 2019. Web. Accessed 18 June 2020