Celebration Fanfare (from Stepping Stones)
Year: 1993 / 1996
Duration: c. 5:00
Difficulty: V (see Ratings for explanation)
Original Medium: Orchestra
Publisher: Associated Music Publishers, Inc.
Cost: Score & Parts - $75.00 | Score Only - $7.50
E-flat Soprano Clarinet
B-flat Soprano Clarinet I-II-III
B-flat Bass Clarinet
E-flat Alto Saxophone I-II
B-flat Tenor Saxophone
E-flat Baritone Saxophone
B-flat Cornet I-II-III
Horn in F I-II-III-IV
Percussion I-II-III-IV-V-VI, including:
- Bass Drum
- Cymbals (crash, small and large suspended)
- Sizzle Cymbal
- Sleigh Bells
- Snare Drum
- Tenor Drum
None discovered thus far.
The music for the ballet Stepping Stones (1993) was commissioned by choreographer Kathryn Posin for the Milwaukee Ballet. Joan Tower's rhythmically and harmonically muscular score was developed in close collaboration with Posin’s choreography. Tower commented: “As a composer, I've always thought of myself as a closet choreographer. Texture, space, speed, direction, all the words that apply to dance also apply to music.”
Friend and fellow composer Jack Stamp suggested to Tower that the final movement, Celebration Fanfare, would transcribe well into an arrangement for wind band, not suspecting that she would give him the task. The rising tones of the fanfare are fitting for the progressive stages of a woman’s development, which is the subject of the ballet.
- Program notes from Music Program Notes for Band and Wind Ensemble Music
None discovered thus far.
To submit a performance please join The Wind Repertory Project
- University of Washington (Seattle) Symphonic Band (Shaun Day, conductor) - 8 March 2022
- University of Texas (Austin) Symphony Band (Ryan Kelly, conductor) – 2 May 2018
- Florida International University Wind Ensemble (Dr.Catherine Rand, conductor) - November 19, 2009
- Orange County Wind Symphony (Anaheim, Calif.) (Anthony Mazzaferro, conductor) - 23 November 2014
Works for Winds by This Composer
- Black Topaz
- Celebration Fanfare (from Stepping Stones) (arr. Jack Stamp)
- Celebration Fanfare (from Stepping Stones) - Brass Version (arr. Daniel Forlano)
- Fanfare for the Uncommon Woman No. 1
- Fanfare for the Uncommon Woman No. 2
- Fanfare for the Uncommon Woman No. 3
- Fanfare for the Uncommon Woman No. 5 (1993/1997)
- Fascinating Ribbons (2001)
- Made in America (tr. Patterson) (2004)
- The Horizon Leans Forward…, compiled and edited by Erik Kar Jun Leung, GIA Publications, 2021, p. 500.
- Maughlin, Ashley Marie. (2009). A graduate recital in wind band conducting. [Master's Thesis].
- Tower, J.; Stamp, J. (1996). Celebration Fanfare : From Stepping Stones [score]. Associated Music Publishers: New York.