Pietro Mascagni (arr. Shishikura)
Subtitle: Selection from the Opera
E-flat Soprano Clarinet
B-flat Soprano Clarinet I-II-III
B-flat Bass Clarinet
E-flat Alto Saxophone I/Soprano Saxophone
E-flat Alto Saxophone II
B-flat Tenor Saxophone
E-flat Baritone Saxophone
B-flat Trumpet I-II-III
Horn in F I-II-III-IV
- Bass Drum
- Crash Cymbals
- Field Drum
- Snare Drum
- Suspended Cymbal
None discovered thus far.
In 1889, music publisher Edoardo Sonzogno sponsored a competition for young Italian composers who had not yet brought an opera to stage. Cavalleria Rusticana was submitted, winning first prize. It had ideology, principle, and the emotional extremes embraced by the Italian verismo movement of the late 19th century, and Mascagni was credited with initiating the opera verismo style. The title means "rustic chivalry," and its beautiful Intermezzo is internationally revered.
In the story, Turiddu, a young villager in Sicily, returns from military service to find his fiancée Lola married to Alfio, the prosperous village teamster. In revenge, Turiddu seduces Santuzza, a young woman in the village. As the opera begins, Lola, overcome by her jealousy of Santuzza, has begun an adulterous affair with Turiddu.
The arrangement includes three excerpts from the original opera. It starts with a prelude describing a calm Easter morning, followed by a trumpet solo used for Turiddu's Aria Siciliana, sung offstage in the opera. Next is Brindisi, Viva il vino spumeggiante -- cheerful festival music. Introduced by sacred bells, a beautiful vocal prayer scene restates the original Intermezzo theme at the start of Scena e Preghiera which dynamically moves from the saxophones to the full ensemble. Ultimately the memorable Intermezzo motif returns as a coda for the grand finale.
- Program Note from publisher
None discovered thus far.
To submit a performance please join The Wind Repertory Project
- Saitama (Japan) Sakae High School Wind Orchestra (Akira Oku, conductor) - 14 February 2019 (2019 TMEA Conference, San Antonio)
- Tamagawa Academy (Machida, Tokyo, Japan) Wind Orchestra (Kazuhiko Tsuchiya, conductor) - 15 December 2016 (2016 Midwest Clinic)
- Hijiyama Girls Junior & Senior High School Wind Orchestra (Hiroshima, Japan) (Yusuke Konishi, conductor) - 11 February 2016 (2016 CASMEC Conference, San Jose)
Works for Winds by This Composer
- Cavalleria Rusticana (arr. Shishikura) (2011)
- Intermezzo (arr. Suzuki (1890/)
- Intermezzo from "Cavalleria Rusticana" (tr. Kreines) (1890)
- Intermezzo from "L'Amico Fritz" (tr. Falcone)
- Intermezzo from "Cavalleria Rusticana" (arr. Falcone) (1890/1968)
- Intermezzo Sinfonico (arr. Del Borgo) (1890/2003)
- Intermezzo Sinfonico from "Cavalleria Rusticana" (arr. Sonyong) (1890)
- Intermezzo Sinfonico from "Cavalleria Rusticana" (tr. Odom) (1890)
- Intermezzo Sinfonico from "Cavalleria Rusticana" (arr. Tatebe) (1890/2009)
- Regina Coeli Laetare from "Cavalleria Rusticana" (arr. Johnson) (1890/2015)
- Regina Coeli from from "Cavalleria Rusticana"(1890/1970)
- Heritage Encyclopedia of Band Music. "Pietro Mascagni." Accessed 29 February 2016