1. Catalonia - 3:35
2. Catwalk - 2:22
B-flat Soprano Clarinet I-II-III
B-flat Bass Clarinet
E-flat Alto Saxophone
B-flat Tenor Saxophone
E-flat Baritone Saxophone
B-flat Trumpet I-II-III
Horn in F I-II-III-IV
- Crash Cymbals
- Wood Block
None discovered thus far.
In the early 1980s I had the good fortune to live and work in New York City. Since the 1930s The Big Apple has enjoyed a reputation as the jazz capital of the world. Indeed, jazz seemed to be a part of the very fabric of everyday life in the city. One might pass Frank Sinatra leaving The Players (Club) or Buddy Rich en route to a gig, while a few blocks south of my apartment the famous Blue Note Club played host to a succession of legendary jazz “Cats”, from Dizzy Gillespie to rising star Wynton Marsalis.
Cats Tales pays tribute to four wonderful musicians who shared a love of jazz and New York City. Film composer Elmer Bernstein is remembered in 1) Catalonia before a musical gear change that references the work of his contemporary colleague, Bernstein East, aka Leonard Bernstein. The presence of West Side Story looms large here.
Henry Mancini's most famous composition (which concerned a cat of the pink variety) provides the inspiration for the 2nd movement, 2) Catwalk before saxophone legend Sonny Rollins’s jazz standard Airegin is given a contrafact treatment in 3) Scat! allowing a number of instrumental soloists to shine.
This version was premiered by the Osaka Municipal Symphonic Wind Band, Conductor Kazuhiko Komatsu, in Osaka, Japan on 27 April 2008.
- Program Note from score
- Audio CD: Showa Wind Symphony (Eugene Migliaro Corporon, conductor) – 2018
- Audio CD: Osaka Municipal Symphonic Band (Kazuyoshi Akiyama, conductor) – 2008
None discovered thus far.
To submit a performance please join The Wind Repertory Project
- United States Coast Guard Band (New London, Conn.) (Adam Williamson, conductor) – 14 October 2018
- Koninklijke harmonie De Nachtegaal – 28 April 2013
Works for Winds by this Composer
- Academic Festival Fanfare
- Alloway Tales
- Brillante (1987)
- Cartoon Music
- Cats Tales (2008)
- Cossack Fire Dance
- Cossack Wedding Dance
- Cry of the Celts
- Day of the Dragon
- Elegy (from Harrison's Dream)
- Gaelforce (2001)
- Harrison's Dream (2003)
- Hine E Hine
- In League with Extraordinary Gentlemen (2009)
- Intrada (On a Theme by Thomas Tallis)
- Journey to the Centre of the Earth (2006)
- Northern Landscapes
- The Red Machine (2004)
- Seize the Day (2010/2012)
- Shine as the Light
- Suite from Call of the Cossacks
- Summon the Dragon
- Swedish Folksong
- Symphony for Wind Orchestra 'Montage'
- Three Jazz Pieces
- Windows of the World (2001/2002)