Catherine McMichael (b. 1954) is an American pianist, arranger, composer and publisher.
Catherine's commitment to making chamber and ensemble music available to the young musician has led her to compose and publish music for piano and strings, flute and harp, brass choir, piano duet, and chorus, many of which appear on the National Federation of Music Teachers' recommended repertoire list. Two of her works for flute have won the Best Newly Published Music award from the National Flute Association (Floris and La Lune et les Etoiles). She's the author of a piano method, Making Music My Own, supplementary repertoire and duets, published in 1994-1995.
Her composition projects in the past three years include commissions from such diverse groups as the Saginaw Bay Orchestra (full orchestra), Ithaca Talent Education (for string orchestra), The Canadian Brass (brass quintet), and University of Massachusetts at Amherst (chorus, saxophone and piano; and tenor, saxophone and piano).
Teaching, performing and composing comprise her professional musical life in Saginaw, Michigan. She performs frequently with the Saginaw Choral Society and the Saginaw Bay Symphony Orchestra.
An alumna of the University of Michigan (B.M. piano performance, M.M. chamber music and accompanying), she also directs the handbell choir at First United Methodist Church in Saginaw, is on the faculty of Saginaw Valley State University, and is a clinician at workshops and institutes in North America and Australia.
Works for Winds
- Cape Breton Postcard (2005)
- Great Lake Voyage (2007)
- Pax (1992/2005)
- Sapphire (2000)
- Spirit of the Shannon (2005)
- Bechen, Eugene F. "Pax." In Teaching Music through Performance in Band. Volume 6, edit. & comp. by Richard Miles, 219-223. Chicago: GIA Publications, 2007.
- Catherine McMichael website Accessed 18 August 2017
- Ctherine McMichael, Wikipedia Accessed 13 September 2017
- Heritage Encyclopedia of Band Music. "Catherine McMichael." Accessed 18 August 2017
- Miller, Richard. "Cape Breton Postcard." In Teaching Music through Performance in Band. Volume 6, edit. & comp. by Richard Miles, 314-322. Chicago: GIA Publications, 2007.