Carnival of Venice (arr Staigers)
Folk song variations arranged by Del Staigers
Subtitle: Fantasia Brilliante
Year: 1928 / 1936
Duration: c. 4:30
Difficulty: VI (solo) / III (ensemble) (see Ratings for explanation)
Original Medium: Solo with Piano
Publisher: Carl Fischer
Cost: Score and Parts – Out of print.
For availability information, see Discussion tab, above.
Solo B-flat Cornet
Solo Alto Saxophone
E-flat Soprano Clarinet
B-flat Soprano Clarinet I-II-III
E-flat Alto Clarinet
B-flat Bass Clarinet
E-flat Alto Saxophone I-II
B-flat Tenor Saxophone
E-flat Baritone Saxophone
B-flat Cornet I-II
E-flat Horn or Alto I-II-III-IV
Horn in F I-II-III-IV
- Bass Drum
- Crash Cymbals (doubling Bass Drum, optional)
- Snare Drum
None discovered thus far.
The Carnival of Venice is a folk tune popularly associated with the words "My hat, it has three corners". A series of theme and variations has been written for a number of solo instruments as "show off" pieces that contain virtuoso displays of double and triple tonguing, and fast tempos.
- Program Note from Wikipedia
- Audio CD: U.S. Marine Band
None discovered thus far.
To submit a performance please join The Wind Repertory Project
- Tufts University (Medford, Mass.) Wind Ensemble (John McCann, conductor; Evan Goler, alto saxophone) - 11 April 2022
- Butler University (Indianapolis, Ind.) Symphonic Band (Michael Colburn, conductor; Allen Miller, trumpet) – 19 February 2020
- Florida State University (Tallahassee, Fla.) Wind Ensemble (Patrick Dunnigan, conductor; Allen Vizzutti, trumpet) – 13 November 2019
- Virginia (Alexandria) Grand Military Band (Loras John Schissel, conductor; Andrew Wilson, cornet) – 2 November 2019
- Lowndes High School (Valdosta, Ga.) Wind Symphony (Jon Bowman, conductor) - 25 April 2018
- Riverwatch Middle School (Suwanee, Ga.) Symphonic Band (Matt Koperniak, conductor; Adam Frey, euphonium) - 21 December 2017 (2017 Midwest Clinic)
- University of North Carolina, Greensboro, Wind Ensemble (John R. Locke, conductor; Mark Clodfelter, trumpet) – 20 October 2016
- Wheaton (Ill.) College Symphonic Band (Timothy Yountz, conductor; Brandon Ridenour, trumpet) – Winter 2015
- L.V. Berkner High School (Richardson, Tx.) Symphonic Band I (Frank Troyka, conductor; Allen Vizzutti, trumpet) – 16 December 2011 (2011 Midwest Clinic)
Works for Winds by This Composer
- Capitol City March (1936)
- Carnival of Venice (as arranger) (1936)
- Carnival of Venice (as arranger; ed. Marlatt) (1936/2009)
- Carnival of Venice (song), Wikipedia Accessed 26 April 2016
- Girsberger, Russ. Percussion Assignments for Band & Wind Ensemble: Volume 2 L-Z. Meredith Music Publications, 2004, pp. 290.
- Staigers D. (1936). Carnival of Venice: Fantasia Brilliante [score]. C. Fischer: New York.