Medley arranged by Andre Jutras
Subtitle: A French Canadian Yuletide Celebration
Duration: c. 5:00
Difficulty: III (see Ratings for explanation)
Publisher: C L Barnhouse
Cost: Score & Parts - $60.00 | Score Only - $4.00
B-flat Soprano Clarinet I-II-III
E-flat Alto Clarinet
B-flat Bass Clarinet
E-flat Alto Saxophone I-II
B-flat Tenor Saxophone
E-flat Baritone Saxophone
B-flat Trumpet I-II-III
French Horn I-II-III-IV
Percussion I-II-III-IV, including:
- Bass Drum
- Snare Drum
- Temple Blocks
- Tubular Bells
- C Piccolo, m.1: The trill starting should only be 8 bars long. There are two extra bars.
- Horn I-II. m.62: Rhythm should be A (quarter note) + G# (half note) instead of the opposite.
- Horn II. m.18: Last eighth note should be an E (see bar 39)
C'est Noël, a French-Canadian Christmas Celebration, is a joyous arrangement of three traditional Christmas songs known throughout Canada and America. Arranger Andre Jutras is a former English horn player with the Quebec Symphonic Orchestra and currently the music officer for the Canada Council for the Arts.
The piece begins with a brilliant introduction based on Il est né, le divin Enfant (He Is Born, the Holy Child). The andante middle section features a sonorous brass choir performing Silent Night, and ends with a joyous rendition of Angels We Have Heard on High. Listen also for Joy to the World used as a woodwind counterpoint.
- Program Note by Brian Ewing
(Needed - please join the WRP if you can help.)
None discovered thus far.
To submit a performance please join The Wind Repertory Project
- Hillcrest Wind Ensemble (San Diego, Calif.) (Christian Tordahl, conductor) - 17 December 2022
- Cypress (Calif.) High School Wind Symphony (James Quirion, conductor) - 15 December 2021
- Temple University (Philadelphia, Penn.) Night Owls Campus Community Band (Brian Ewing, conductor) – 8 December 2019
- North Jersey (Fair Lawn) Concert Band (Michael Roth, conductor) – 6 December 2019
- Edmonton (Alb.) Schoolboys’ Alumni Band (Graeme Peppink, conductor) – 1 December 2019
- Randolph (N.J.) High School Concert Band (Michael Lichtenfeld, conductor) – 17 December 2018
- Sierra College (Rocklin, Calif.) Wind Ensemble and Wind Symphony (Greg McLaughlin, conductor) – 28 November 2018
- San Ramon Symphonic Band (Larry Colón, conductor) - 19 December 2014
- Parkland College (Champaign, Ill.) Concert Band (Larry Stoner, conductor) - 3 December 2014
Works for Winds by This Composer
- A Barrie North Celebration (1993)
- C'est Noel (1985)
- Daydreams (1988)
- Inversia (2003)
- Latin Sun (1991)
- Moventa (1989)
- They Came Sailing (1994)
- Three Folk Miniatures (1986)
- Jutras, A. (1985). C'est Noël = (It Is Christmas): A French Canadian Yuletide Celebration [score]. C.L. Barnhouse: Oskaloosa, Iowa.