Duration: c. 4:00
Difficulty: III (see Ratings for explanation)
Publisher: FJH Music Company, Inc.
Cost: Score and Parts - $80.00 | Score Only - $11.00
B-flat Soprano Clarinet I-II-III
B-flat Bass Clarinet
E-flat Alto Saxophone I-II
B-flat Tenor Saxophone
E-flat Baritone Saxophone
B-flat Trumpet I-II-III
Horn in F I-II
Timpani (doubling Concert Wind Chimes)*
Percussion I-II-III-IV-V, including:
- Bass Drum
- Crash Cymbals
- Snare Drum
- Suspended Cymbal
- Wind Chimes*
*This piece calls for regular concert wind chimes as well as a small set of outdoor wind chimes.
None discovered thus far.
This compelling work incorporates elements of mystery and intrigue in a whirlwind of sounds, colors, and textures. Written in a quick 3/4 time, this engaging composition uses an attractive harmonic language, expressive melodic lines, and clever orchestrations to invoke the fairy-tale imagery of Robert Louis Stevenson's poetry in A Child's Garden of Verses. The playful nature of the piece moves between a lilting quality and a more lyrical expressive nature.
- Program Note from publisher
Butterfly's Ball is the first of three compositions that comprise a suite titled A Child's Garden of Verses. Each movement of the suite is based on poem from the similarly titled volume of prose and poetry compiled by Robert Louis Stevenson. This movement depicts a poem composed by William Roscoe called The Butterfly's Ball and Grasshoppers' Feast. The music depicts a fantasy of various insects gathering for a feast in the dark forest.
Come take up you Hats, and away let us haste
To the Butterfly's Ball, and the Grasshoppers' Fest.
The Trumpeter, Gad-fly, has summon'd the Crew,
And the Revels are now only waiting for you.
- Program Note from North Ridge Middle School Honors Band concert program, 15 December 2005
- Audio: Reference recording. Ensemble and conductor unknown
- Audio CD: North Ridge Middle School Honors Band (Cynthia Lansford, conductor) - 2005
- Texas: III
To submit a performance please join The Wind Repertory Project
- Sea to Sky Wind Ensemble (North Vancouver, B.C., Can.) (Tak Maeda, conductor) - 23 October 2022
- Ball State University (Muncie, Ind.) Concert Band (Austin Hinkle, conductor) – 24 April 2019
- Lincoln Middle School Symphonic Band (El Paso, Tex.) - 2012
- North Ridge Middle School (North Richland Hills, Tx.) Honors Band (Cynthia Lansford, conductor) – 15 December 2005 (2005 Midwest Clinic)
Works for Winds by This Composer
- Adirondack Park (2000)
- Bell Carol Rock (as arranger) (2010)
- A Child's Garden of Verses
- The Darkness Is Always Soft (2001)
- Deck the Halls With Rock and Roll (as arranger) (2011)
- Fusion Generator (2013)
- Genome (2005)
- Hope Afloat
- Jingle Blues (as arranger) (2013)
- Reason to Rock (2012)
- Scattered Light (2016)
- Silver Fanfare
- Sojourn (Fraley) (2006)
- Sugar Plum Reggae (as arranger) (2012)
- Tecumseh: Dream of Democracy
- Three Studies in Brass
- Fraley, R.; Roscoe, W.; Stevenson, R. (2005). Butterfly's Ball : From A Child's Garden of Verses [score]. FJH Music: Ft. Lauderdale, Fla.