British Eighth March (arr Hilliard)
Zo Elliott (ed. Hilliard)
B-flat Soprano Clarinet I-II-III
E-flat Alto Clarinet
B-flat Bass Clarinet
E-flat Alto Saxophone I-II
B-flat Tenor Saxophone
E-flat Baritone Saxophone
B-flat Trumpet I-II-III
Horn in F I-II-III-IV
Percussion I-II-III, including:
- Bass Drum
- Crash Cymbals
- Snare Drum
None discovered thus far.
A classic march in a carefully edited version by Quincy Hilliard, Zo Elliott's British Eighth was dedicated to the members of Britain's celebrated Eighth Army and accepted on their behalf by General Sir Bernard L. Montgomery, their celebrated World War II Commander. In typical British march style, it has great verve and a trio tune everybody leaves humming.
- Program Note by publisher
The British Eighth March was copyrighted in manuscript in 1943 and published in 1944. It was dedicated to Gen. Bernard Montgomery and the Eighth Army after a triumphant sweep across North Africa in 1942. Following the defeat of Rommel’s forces at El Alamein, Montgomery was promoted to field marshal, and he soon became the idol of the British public. In 1944 he commanded all Allied ground forces during the invasion of France, and in 1951 he became deputy commander of the Atlantic Pact nations. Since the war, Zo Elliott’s impressive march has retained its popularity on both sides of the Atlantic. In a 1980 random survey of 69 members of the Texas Bandmasters Association, for example, British Eighth March was ranked third in a list of nearly 80 favorites.
- Program Note from “Program Notes for Band"
None discovered thus far.
- Kansas: III
To submit a performance please join The Wind Repertory Project
- Henderson State University (Arkadelphia, Ark.) Symphony Band (Shaun Popp, conductor) – 8 March 2020
- Arizona State University (Tempe) Maroon Band (James Hudson, conductor) – 27 February 2020
- Parkland College (Champaign, Ill.) Concert Band (Larry Stoner, conductor) - 20 October 2019
- University of Minnesota (Minneapolis) Symphonic Band (Jerry Luckhardt, conductor) – 29 November 2018
- Louisiana State University (Baton Rouge) Symphonic Band (Lisa Tatum, conductor) – 20 November 2018
- Atascadero (Calif.) Community Band (Jennifer Martin, conductor) – 7 July 2015
- San Jose Wind Symphony (Edward C. Harris, conductor) - 6 April 2013 (ACB’s 35th Annual Convention (San Ramon, Calif.))
- West Point (N.Y.) Band (Tod Addison, conductor) – 21 January 2017
- VanderCook College of Music (Chicago, Ill.) Symphonic Band (H. Robert Reynolds, conductor) - 18 December 2015 (2015 Midwest Clinic)
- United States Army Field Band (Paul Bamonte, conductor) – 20 June 2015 (Wheeling, WV)
- Woodside Village (Calif.) Band (Richard Gordon, conductor) - 8 June 2013
- NAfME All National Concert Band – 2013
Works for Winds by this Composer
- British Eighth March (arr. Hilliard) (1943/2000)
- British Eighth March (arr. Luckhardt) (1943/1944)
- Midshipman’s March, The
- Phillipien March, The
- Smith, Norman E. (2002). Program Notes for Band. Chicago: GIA Publications. pp. 192