For further availability information, see Discussion tab, above.
B-flat Soprano Clarinet I-II-III
E-flat Alto Clarinet
B-flat Bass Clarinet
E-flat Alto Saxophone I-II
B-flat Tenor Saxophone
E-flat Baritone Saxophone
B-flat Trumpet I-II-III
Horn in F I-II-III-IV
Euphonium (Bass Clef & Treble Clef)
Percussion I-II, including:
- Bass Drum
- Snare Drum
- Crash Cymbals
None discovered thus far.
Brighton Beach March, composed in 1954, was Latham's first published work for band. It was an immediate success among school band directors and was listed among the 100 most popular marches by The Instrumentalist four times between 1960 and 1976. The style is British, in the tradition of Edward Elgar, Gustav Holst, William Walton, and Ralph Vaughan Williams.
The title (chosen by the publisher) refers to a famous resort on the southern coast of England. In October 1984, Brighton was very much in the news following a predawn IRA [Irish Republican Army] bomb explosion at the 122-year-old Grand Hotel which killed four people. Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher escaped death by only two minutes.
- Program Note from Program Notes for Band
None discovered thus far.
- Kansas: III
To submit a performance please join The Wind Repertory Project
- Allan Hancock College (Santa Maria, Calif.) Band (Garson Olivieri, conductor) – 23 November 2019
- University of Oregon (Eugene) Campus Band (Eric Wiltshire, conductor) – 20 November 2019
- Western Illinois University (Macomb) Wind Ensemble (Mike Fansler, conductor) – 28 September 2019
- University of Kansas (Lawrence) University Band (Nicholas Waldron, conductor) – 25 March 2019
- University of Arkansas (Fayetteville) White Concert Band (Jamal Duncan, conductor) – 22 April 2018
- Kennesaw (Ga.) State University University Band (Trey Harris, conductor) – 20 February 2018
- Catawba Valley New Horizons Band, Hickory NC (Len Allman, conductor) - 11 May 2017
- Sequim (Wash.) City Band (Tyler Benedict, conductor) – 7 May 2017
- California State University Symphonic Band (Jermie S. Arnold, conductor) – 6 October 2016
- Arizona State University Concert Band (Andrew Pease, conductor) – 2 December 2013
- Atascadero (Calif.) Community Band (Charlie Buck III, conductor) – 20 August 2013
- Keene (N.H.) State College Concert Band (James Chesebrough, conductor) - 25 April 2013
- Keene (N.H.) State College Concert Band (James Chesebrough, conductor) - 3 March 2011
Works for Winds by this Composer
- Brighton Beach (1954/2001)
- Court Festival (1957)
- Dodecaphonic Set (1967)
- Honors Day March
- Passacaglia and Fugue
- Proud Heritage (1956)
- Quiet Tune
- Swingin' Reel
- Three Chorale Preludes (1956)
- Latham, W. (2001). Bright Beach: Concert March [score]. Belwin: [s.l.]
- Smith, Norman E. (2002). Program Notes for Band. Chicago: GIA Publications, pp. 370.