Brant Karrick (b. 14 August 1960, Bowling Green, Ky.) is an American composer, arranger and educator.
In the fall of 1991 Karrick entered the Ph.D. program in Music Education at Louisiana State University, completing the degree in 1994. His prior education includes a Bachelor of Music Education from the University of Louisville which he completed in 1982, and a Master of Arts in Education from Western Kentucky University, completed in 1984. Dr. Karrick's musical life has been influenced by many individuals. He studied trumpet with Leon Rapier, music education with Cornelia Yarborough, and conducting with Frank Wickes. His primary composition teachers were David Livingston, Steve Beck, and Cecil Karrick. His professional affiliations include: Music Educators National Conference, the Kentucky Music Educators Association, Phi Beta Mu, ASCAP, the National Band Association, and the College Band Directors National Association.
Karrick began his service as a public school teacher in 1984 at Beechwood School in Fort Mitchell, Kentucky. In 1986 he returned to his alma mater, Bowling Green (KY) High School, as the Director of Instrumental Music. His concert bands received superior ratings at regional and state concert festivals every year of his five year tenure there, and in 1988 his marching band was named Class AA State Champion. In 2003, Karrick joined the faculty of Northern Kentucky University as director of bands, a post he held until his retirement in 2022.
Works for Winds
- African Dreams (2012)
- Bayou Breakdown (2004)
- Comet Flash (2019)
- Companions on the Journey (2006/2008)
- Country Gardens (as arranger) (1918/2013)
- Cumberland Falls Overture (2008)
- Dean Dowdy
- The Dragoon's Farewell (1998)
- Exuberance (2012)
- Ghost Dancing (2012)
- A Golden Celebration (2010)
- Homeward Bound (as arranger) (1991/2009)
- If I Should Go (2021)
- In My Native Country (as arranger) (1886/1999)
- J.S. Jig (2008)
- The Journey (2009)
- Mambo Furioso (2001/2006)
- Memor Vita! (2010)
- The Old Red Mill (2010)
- Photo Finish! (2007)
- Quirks (2012)
- Reluctant Joys (as arranger) (2020)
- Runway Five (2014)
- A Sacred Suite (2006)
- See Rock City (2011)
- Shannon Lake (2002/2003)
- Slumber, My Darling (as arranger) (1862/2006)
- Songs of Old Kentucky (2007)
- Spy Chase (2005)
- They Shall Run and Be Free (2009)
- Unbridled Spirit!
- Vanity Fair (as transcriber) (2006)
- Vital Signs (2019)
- When Hearts Tremble (2017)
- With Visions of Tomorrow (2013)
- With Wind and Water (2018)
- Wondrous (2015)
- Bough, Thomas. "Quirks." In Teaching Music through Performance in Band. Volume 9, edit. & comp. by Richard Miles, 598-604. Chicago: GIA Publications, 2013.
- Hendricks III, John. "A Sacred Suite." In Teaching Music through Performance in Band. Volume 10, Compiled and edited by Richard Miles, 349-358. Chicago: GIA Publications, 2015.
- Karrick, Brant. "Bayou Breakdown." In Teaching Music through Performance in Band. Volume 6, edit. & comp. by Richard Miles, 455-460. Chicago: GIA Publications, 2007.