Bite the Bullet (Machain)
Year: 2018 / 2020
Duration: c. 6:10
Difficulty: VI (see Ratings for explanation)
Publisher: Boosey & Hawkes, through Hal Leonard
Cost: Score and Parts (print) - $125.00; (digital) - $125.00 | Score Only (print) - $15.00
B-flat Soprano Clarinet I-II-III
B-flat Bass Clarinet
E-flat Contra Alto Clarinet
B-flat Contrabass Clarinet
E-flat Alto Saxophone I-II
B-flat Tenor Saxophone
E-flat Baritone Saxophone
B-flat Trumpet I-II-III
Horn in F I-II-III-IV
Percussion (7 players), including:
- Bass Drum
- Crash Cymbals
- Snare Drum
- Suspended Cymbal
- Tubular Bells
- Wind Chimes
None discovered thus far.
Bite the Bullet (2018) was commissioned for the University of Nevada, Las Vegas Wind Orchestra by Thomas Leslie, director of bands, and was premiered by that ensemble in Artemus W. Ham Hall on October 4, 2018.
The title comes from a work by the Venetian painter Carlo Marchiori. The painting [Biting the Bullets] depicts two Pulcinelli, Venetian clowns dressed as bakers. In the painting, these Pulcinelli shoot at one another with guns, bullets meeting in the middle, creating a white-orange-pink cloudburst. I was in awe of the vibrant colored landscape and the Pulcinelli, providing the creative impetus for this work. In Bite the Bullet, I portray the intensity of the painting and use my own sonic color scheme through orchestration and instrumental color. You will hear the intensity of the brass and percussion sections portraying the gunshots by the Pulcinelli with the woodwind flourishes emulating the painter's brush strokes.
- Program Note by composer
- NBA Revelli Competition, 2018, Finalist
- Audio: Reference recording. University of Nevada Las Vegas Wind Orchestra (Thomas G. Leslie, conductor)
None discovered thus far.
To submit a performance please join The Wind Repertory Project
- Sacramento (Calif.) State University Symphonic Wind Ensemble (Clay Redfield, conductor) – 4 March 2020
- University of North Texas (Denton) Wind Symphony (Danny Brock, conductor) – 21 November 2019
- University of Nevada Las Vegas Wind Orchestra (Thomas Leslie, conductor) – 4 October 2018 *Premiere Performance*
Works for Winds by This Composer
- Brock, Danny. "Bite the Bullet." In Teaching Music through Performance in Band. Volume 12, Compiled and edited by Andrew Trachsel, 735-744. Chicago: GIA Publications, 2021.
- The Horizon Leans Forward…, compiled and edited by Erik Kar Jun Leung, GIA Publications, 2021, p. 404.
- JM Music website Accessed 6 January 2020
- Machain, J. (2020). Bite the Bullet [score]. Boosey & Hawkes: New York.
- Perusal score