Billboard, The (arr Balent)
John N Klohr (arr. Andrew Balent)
Year: 1901 / 2003
Duration: c. 2:00
Difficulty: III (see Ratings for explanation)
Publisher: Carl Fischer
Cost: Score and Parts - $80.00 | Score Only - $12.00
B-flat Soprano Clarinet I-II-III
B-flat Bass Clarinet
E-flat Alto Saxophone I-II
B-flat Tenor Saxophone
E-flat Baritone Saxophone
B-flat Trumpet I-II-III
Horn in F I-II
- Bass Drum
- Crash Cymbals
- Snare Drum
None discovered thus far.
The Billboard March was dedicated to the general amusement newspaper of the same name and published in 1901. Until its outdoor entertaiment section was succeeded by Amusement Business in 1961, Billboard remained pre-eminent in its field. Klohr didn't think much of this march at first, but conceded it was a success after the royalties paid his home in Cincinnati.
- Program Note from March Music Notes
John N. Klohr (1869-1956) was a prolific composer of marches whose primary claim to fame is this 1901 classic circus march. The first two strains of this lively piece are delightful, but the acclaim of this march rests on the instant recognizability of the trio theme, used for years as an introduction to countless entertainment acts of every sort (and often sung with lyrics that one might refer to as “inappropriate”). Andrew Balent’s version of this beloved selection is well adapted to the capabilities of young school musicians, and the result will be great fun for them to play.
- Program Note by the VanderCook College of Music Symphonic Band concert program, 20 December 2013
None discovered thus far.
To submit a performance please join The Wind Repertory Project
- Northeast High School (St. Petersburg, Fla.) Wind Ensemble - 3 March 2020
- VanderCook College of Music (Chicago, Ill.) Symphonic Band (Stacey Larson Dolan, conductor) – 20 December 2013 (2013 Midwest Clinic)
- Madison County High School Symphonic Band - 26 March 2011
Works for Winds by This Composer
- Arch of Steel (1935)
- The Billboard (arr. Balent) 1901/2003)
- The Billboard (arr. Buckley) 1901/2003)
- The Billboard (arr. Fennell) (1901/1984)
- The Billboard March (1901)
- Blanchester March (1938
- Blazing the Trail (1938)
- Breezing Along (1938)
- Cincinnati Post (1902)
- Classroom & Campus (1938
- Corsonian Polka
- Dusky Princess (1900)
- Echoes from the South (1916)
- Federation March (1910)
- Fellowship March (1916)
- Flagship March (1938)
- Headliner March (1938)
- Klohr, J. Balent, A. (2003). The Billboard March [score]. Carl Fischer: New York, N.Y.
- Smith, Norman E. (1986). March Music Notes. Lake Charles, La.: Program Note Press, pp. 246.