(Needed - please join the WRP if you can help.)
None discovered thus far.
Beyond is passionate and grand music, full of sweeping melodies and brass fanfares, in the modern Hollywood style of such composers as John Williams. Beyond was originally commissioned by the Japan Air Self-Defense Western Air Band and premiered in 2001. According to the composer, "Since this piece was commissioned by an air force band, I wanted to express the scenery and the images of 'heroes in the sky,' and I tried to make it dramatic and cinematic."
- Program Note from Heritage Encyclopedia of Band Music
- Audio CD: North Texas Wind Symphony (Eugene Migliaro Corporon, conductor) - 2008
- Indiana: ISSMA SENIOR BAND GROUP I
- Kansas: V
- Louisiana: V
- South Carolina: VI
To submit a performance please join The Wind Repertory Project
- Rutgers University (New Brunswick, N.J.) Wind Ensemble (Kraig Alan Williams, conductor) - 10 December 2021
- University of Maryland (College Park) Wind Ensemble (Andrea Brown, conductor) – 18 October 2019
- Baldwin-Wallace College (Berea, Ohio) Symphonic Wind Ensemble (Dwight Oltman, conductor) – 4 October 2019
- Sacramento (Calif.) State University Symphonic Wind Ensemble (Matthew Morse, conductor) – 8 May 2019
- Oregon State University (Corvallis) Wind Symphony (Olin Hannum, conductor) – 27 February 2018
- University of North Texas (Denton) Symphonic Band (Dennis W. Fisher, conductor) – 26 October 2017
Works for Winds by This Composer
- Animas Luminis (2011/2016)
- Beyond (2001/2005)
- Color of August (2006)
- Echoes of Memories (2005)
- Fanfare (1995/1997)
- Jamestown (2016)
- Nebula (2006)
- Spiritual Planet (2004)
- Carmichael, John C. "Beyond." In Teaching Music through Performance in Band. Volume 6, edit. & comp. by Richard Miles, 461-467. Chicago: GIA Publications, 2007.
- Hokoyama, W. (2005). Beyond [score]. Masters Music: Boca Raton. Fla.
- Wataru Hokoyama website Accessed 21 August 2017