1. Sydney Harbor – 3:15
2. Road to Gundagai
3. Southern Cross
4. Advance Australia Fair
B-flat Soprano Clarinet I-II-III
B-flat Bass Clarinet
E-flat Contra-Alto Clarinet
E-flat Alto Saxophone I-II
B-flat Tenor Saxophone
E-flat Baritone Saxophone
B-flat Trumpet I-II-III-IV
Horn in F I-II-III-IV
(percussion detail desired)
None discovered thus far.
This work is in four movements, three of which contain famous Australian tunes, and is mostly straightforward melodies and harmonies. First movement, Sydney Harbour, begins with a fanfare before a fast-moving melody. Middle section includes Waltzing Matilda. The second movement, The Road to Gundagai, treats this famous Australian melody in a slow romantic style with an extended introduction, and includes a short fast section before a gentle coda.
The third movement, Southern Cross, is a heavy extended original fanfare with more dissonance. The main motif is a four-note theme representing the four points of the Southern Cross. The fourth movement is an arrangement of Advance Australia Fair, originally written for the Sydney 2000 Olympics opening ceremony. An optional chorus and contralto solo can be added to this popular "light classical" work.
- Program Note from publisher
In the year 2000 I wrote music for the Sydney Olympics opening and closing ceremonies, and for the New Year's Eve fireworks display at Sydney Harbour. Later I rearranged and expanded the material to make the four-movement suite, Australian Fantasia.
Movement one, Sydney Harbour, includes Australia's best-known tune, Waltzing Matilda. The other references in Sydney Harbour will be understood by anybody who has tried to work with a two-year old child running about in the same house!
- Program Note by composer
- Audio CD: Lincoln High School Symphonic Winds (Alexander Kaminsky, conductor) - 2005
None discovered thus far.
To submit a performance please join The Wind Repertory Project
- Graham-Kapowsin (Graham, Wash.) High School Symphonic Band (Paul Bain, conductor) – 12 March 2016
- Lincoln High School (Tallahassee, Fla.) Symphonic Winds (Alexander Kaminsky, conductor) – 15 December 2005 (2005 Midwest Clinic)
Works for Winds by This Composer
- Australian Fantasia (2002/2004)
- The Bold Benjamin (1997)
- Concerto for Band (1990/2016)
- Demon, The
- Droylsden Wakes
- Folksongs for Band, Set 1
- Folksongs for Band, Set 2 (1984/1991)
- Folksongs for Band, Set 3 (1990/2001)
- Grand Fanfare (stanhope)
- The Little Ripper March (1989/2001)
- Olympic Fireworks (2001/2016)
- On a Bright Sunlit Morning
- Promenade (2003)
- Retreat and Pumping Song (1979/1995/2001/2016)
- Songs Without Words
- Southern Cross Fanfare
- Symphony No. 1
- "Australian Fantasia: concert band." Australian Music Centre. Web. Accessed 21 January 2022
- David Stanhope website Accessed 21 January 2022