E-flat Soprano Clarinet
B-flat Soprano Clarinet I-II-III
B-flat Bass Clarinet
E-flat Alto Saxophone I-II
B-flat Tenor Saxophone
E-flat Baritone Saxophone
B-flat Trumpet I-II-III
Horn in F I-II-III-IV
Percussion I-II-III-IV, including:
- Bass Drum
- Crash Cymbals
- Suspended Cymbal
- Tom-Tom (3)
- Tam-Tam (optional)
None discovered thus far.
Archangel Raphael Who Leaves a House of Tobias is based on the story of the Archangel Raphael in the Book of Tobit. The composer provides the following narrative in the score:
While traveling with Raphael disguised as a human, Tobias met Sara who was possessed by a demon. Following the instructions of Raphael, Tobias smoked the heart and the liver of a huge fish he had caught, and Sara was exorcised. Later, Tobias married Sara after heeding Raphael's advice, and they live happily after. When Tobias returned home, he poured the liver juice over the blind eyes of his father, and he regained his eyesight. Then, Raphael revealed his true self, instructed them to write down the story, and returned to Heaven.
The piece begins mysteriously with the woodwinds, which transforms into a melody that provides an image of the vast lands and seas. The middle of the piece portrays the obstacles that the two faced, and the end of the piece expresses how they overcame those obstacles and the ending of the story, where all is resolved.
Archangel Raphael Who Leaves a House of Tobias was written for the Osaka Philharmonic Winds (Yoshihiro Kimura, conductor) in 2008.
- Program Note from Teaching Music Through Performance in Band
- Audio CD: Philharmonic Winds Osakan (Kimura Yoshihiro, conductor) - 2012
None discovered thus far.
To submit a performance please join The Wind Repertory Project
- Mason (Ohio) High School Wind Symphony (Ed Protzman, conductor) - 7 February 2020
- Cleveland (Ohio) Youth Wind Symphony Group I (Daniel Crain, conductor) - 26 January 2020 (Severance Hall, Cleveland)
- Cleveland (Ohio) Youth Wind Symphony Group I (Daniel Crain, conductor) - 24 November 2019 (Severance Hall, Cleveland)
- Triangle Wind Ensemble (Cary, N.C.) (Evan Feldman, conductor) – 9 November 2018
- Carmel (Ind.) High School Wind Symphony 1 (Michael Pote, conductor) – 9 May 2015
- University of Cincinnati College-Conservatory of Music Wind Orchestra (Glenn D. Price, conductor) – 20 March 2013 (CBDNA 2013 National Conference, Greensboro, N.C.)
Works for Winds by This Composer
- Aim of the Great Figures (2016/2017)
- Amelia, Flight Eternal (2021)
- Archangel Raphael Who Leaves a House of Tobias (2008)
- The Bell of the Atri
- The Boat of the Moon of Orion which Illuminates a Night Sky
- A Golden Apple of Hesperides
- King Arthur and Three Maidens of a Lake
- The Last Letter from Murdoch (2009/2010/2015/2021)
- Le Petit Prince
- Liberty Guiding the People (2004)
- Magellan’s Voyage to Unknown Continent (2004)
- The Minstrel Boy Variations (2011)
- A Mirror of Gerda
- Noah’s Ark
- Princess KAGUYA (2013)
- Raising of Lazarus (2005/2013)
- Stabat Mater Dolorosa
- Tom Tit Tot
- When the Saints Go Marching In (as arranger)
- Keck, Thomas. "Archangel Raphael Who Leaves a House of Tobias." In Teaching Music through Performance in Band. Volume 10, Compiled and edited by Richard Miles, 699-705. Chicago: GIA Publications, 2015.
- Taruya, M. (2008). Archangel Raphael Who Leaves a House of Tobias [score]. Fostermusic: [s.l.].