E-flat Soprano Clarinet
B-flat Soprano Clarinet I-II-III
E-flat Alto Clarinet
E-flat Alto Saxophone I-II
B-flat Tenor Saxophone
E-flat Baritone Saxophone
B-flat Trumpet I-II-III
Horn in F I-II-III-IV
(percussion detail desired)
None discovered thus far.
Arcana is the plural of the Latin word “arcanum”, meaning secret. In the title, it is used in the sense of unraveling the rich past of the Royal Fanfare Sint-Jozefsgilde Mol-Sluis (Belgium) for its 110th anniversary and opening up perspectives for its future.
During the misterioso beginning of the work, a historic atmosphere is created to reflect the founding of the society. Then follows a bustling middle part, which provides a challenge for each musician because of the difficult rhythms and combined play. After this energetic passage, a very melodious part follows that makes people overlook earlier problems, and that offers new possibilities by means of the musical reflection of a consequent youth policy, which determines the future of each society. Finally, there is a broad build-up to the festive finale, once more symbolizing the strength and energy of youth.
- Program Note by Jeff Girard, Midwest Sheet Music
- Arcana has been recommended as interesting, serious and distinctive music by members of the World Association of Symphonic Bands and Ensembles (WASBE).
(Needed - please join the WRP if you can help.)
None discovered thus far.
To submit a performance please join The Wind Repertory Project
- Hope College (Holland, Mich.) Wind Ensemble (Gabe Southard, conductor) - 30 October 2021
- Lamar University (Beaumont, Tex.) Concert Band (Eric Shannon, conductor) – 16 November 2017
- Penn State University (University Park) Concert Band (Brett Penshorn, conductor) – 8 December 2016
- California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo, Wind Orchestra (Christopher J. Woodruff, conductor) – 5 June 2016
- Amador Valley High School (Pleasanton, Calif.) Wind Ensemble (Jonathan Grantham, conductor) – 18 July 2015 - WASBE Conference, San Jose, Calif.
- University of North Texas Wind Symphony (Nipat Kanchanahud, conductor) – 2014
Works for Winds by This Composer
- Arcana (2004)
- Bestiarium Suite
- Call of the Clans (2008)
- Codon (2006)
- The Kangaroo. See: Bestiarium Suite
- Lost Labyrinth, The (2009)
- Lux Futura
- March of the Marmots (2013)
- Valley of the Pinios (2005)
- Houben, K. (2004). Arcana: Concert Band: Grade 5 [score]. Scherzando: Hagendorn.
- Kevin Houben website
- Robinson, David. "Arcana." In Teaching Music through Performance in Band. Volume 11, Compiled and edited by Richard Miles, 489-498. Chicago: GIA Publications, 2018.