American Folk Song Suite
For further availability information, see Discussion tab above.
1. He’s Gone Away – 2:10
2. John Henry – 1:35
3. Go ‘Way from My Window – 1:50
4. Mama Don't 'low - 1:35
E-flat Soprano Clarinet
B-flat Soprano Clarinet I-II-III
E-flat Alto Clarinet
B-flat Bass Clarinet
E-flat Contra Alto Clarinet
B-flat Contrabass Clarinet
E-flat Alto Saxophone I-II
B-flat Tenor Saxophone
E-flat Baritone Saxophone
B-flat Cornet I-II-III
Horn in F I-II-III-IV
Percussion (4 players) including:
- Bass Drum
- Crash Cymbals
- Snare Drum
- Suspended Cymbal
- Wood Block
None discovered thus far.
Arthur Frackenpohl’s American Folk Song Suite is based on four songs which utilize the “blue” notes -- the flatted third, sixth and seventh degrees of the major scale. He’s Gone Away is an Appalachian folk song that originated in Scotland. It tells a tale of parting and loneliness. John Henry is a “hammer” song about a powerful, steel-drivin’ man who wins a contest with a steam drill but at the cost of his life. Go ‘Way From My Window, is a love-lament from the Ozarks, and Mama Don’t Allow a fast song about all the things mama doesn’t allow, from trombone playin' and bass slappin' to fancy swingin' and two-step dancin' -- but which are done anyhow.
- Program Note from Heritage Encyclopedia of Band Music and Program Notes for Band
- Audio CD: Heidi Huseman Dewally, oboe - 2008
- Florida: IV
- Kansas: IV
- Louisiana: IV
- Michigan: Senior High
- South Carolina: IV
To submit a performance please join The Wind Repertory Project
- Kennesaw (Ga.) State University University Band (Joseph Scheivert, conductor) – 24 February 2020
- State University of New York Potsdam Crane Concert Band (James Madeja, conductor) – 20 April 2016
Works for Winds by This Composer
- American Folk Song Suite (1973)
- Assembly (1971)
- Candlewood Capers (1981)
- Dance Overture (1976)
- Diversion in F (1968)
- Earl of Salisbury, The (as arranger)
- Entertainer, The (as arranger)
- Flutes Four (2005)
- Pas Redoublé (as transcriber)
- Variations for Tuba and Winds (1973)
- Frackenpohl, A. (1973). American Folk Song Suite [score]. Shawnee Press: Delaware Water Gap. Penn.
- Girsberger, Russ. Percussion Assignments for Band & Wind Ensemble. Volume I: A-K. Galesburg, MD: Meredith Music Publications, 2004, 99. Print.
- Heritage Encyclopedia of Band Music. "Arthur Frackenpohl." Accessed 20 April 2016.
- Smith, Norman E. (2002). Program Notes for Band. Chicago: GIA Publications, pp. 210.