E-flat Soprano Clarinet
B-flat Soprano Clarinet I-II-III
E-flat Alto Clarinet
B-flat Bass Clarinet I-II
E-flat Contralto Clarinet (optional)
B-flat Contrabass Clarinet
E-flat Alto Saxophone I-II
B-flat Tenor Saxophone
E-flat Baritone Saxophone
B-flat Bass Saxophone (optional)
B-flat Trumpet I-II
B-flat Cornet I-II-III
Horn in F I-II-III-IV
- Bass Drum
- Crash Cymbals
- Snare Drum
- Suspended Cymbal
- Baritone Bass Clef, m.10, b.4: Quarter note should read eighth note.
- Bells and Chimes, m.51, b.2&: Staccato should read accent.
- Bells and Chimes, m.51, b.3&: Accent should read staccato.
The rich musical legacy that Carmen Dragon left the world usually includes his solid reputation as a consummate orchestrator. He is best remembered for the iconic arrangement of America, the Beautiful for both symphony orchestra and symphonic band. Samuel Ward's familiar tune enjoys a sumptuous feast of harmonic color and instrumental nuance.
- Program note by publisher
- Audio: Reference recording. Ensemble and conductor unknown.
- Audio CD: Northshore Concert Band (John P. Lynch, conductor) – 2001
- Audio CD: Golden-Sail Symphonic Band of Beijing Bayi High School (David C. McCormick, conductor)
None discovered thus far.
To submit a performance please join The Wind Repertory Project
- Eastern Kentucky University (Richmond) Wind Ensemble (Rebekah Daniel, conductor) - 14 November 2023
- Ithaca (N.Y.) College Concert Band (Benjamin Rochford, conductor) - 17 September 2023
- Bemidji (Minn.) Area Community Band (Ryan Webber, conductor) - 2 July 2023
- Cleveland State University (Ohio) Symphonic Wind Ensemble (Birch Browning, conductor) - 13 May 2023
- Boynton Beach (Fla.) Gold Coast Band (Barbara Ribenstein, conductor) - 19 February 2023
- United States Marine Band (Washington, D.C.) (Jason K. Fettig, conductor) - 23 October 2022 (New London, Conn.)
- University of Cincinnati (Ohio) College-Conservatory of Music Wind Symphony (Karl Meyers, conductor) - 11 September 2022
- Bemidji (Minn.) Area Community Band (Ryan Webber, conductor) - 3 July 2022
- University of Utah (Salt Lake City) Wind Ensemble (Rebekah Daniel, conductor) - 20 April 2022
- Tennessee Wind Symphony (Knoxville) (John N. Culvahouse, conductor) - 5 April 2022
- Santa Fe College (Gainesville, Fla.) Wind Ensemble (David L. Smith, conductor) - 31 March 2022
- Las Vegas Academy (Nev.) Wind Ensemble & Symphonic Chorus (David Macabee, conductor) - 8 February 2022 (The Smith Center 2022)
- University of Oklahoma (Norman) Wind Symphony (Michael Mench, conductor) - 7 November 2021
- Friends University (Wichita, Kan.) Concert Band (Shawn M. Knopp, conductor) - 27 September 2021
- United States Marine Band (Washington, D.C.) (Ryan J. Nowlin, conductor) - 29 July 2021
- Atlantic Wind Ensemble (Ocean Grove, N.J.) (Ted Freeman, conductor) - 29 May 2021
- Kentucky Virginia (Whitesburg, Ky.) Summer Winds (Jason Griffith, conductor) - 25 May 2021
- Northshore Concert Band (Evanston, Ill.) (Mallory Thompson, conductor) - 23 May 2021
- Broward College (Weston, Fla.) Symphonic Band (Neil E. Jenkins, conductor) - 25 April 2021
- East Texas Baptist University (Marshall) Symphonic Band (Nathan G. Phillips, conductor) - 23 April 2021
- Southeastern Louisiana University (Hammond) Wind Symphony (Victor Drescher, conductor) - 20 October 2020
- Northshore Concert Band (Chicago, Ill.) (Mallory Thompson, conductor) - 18 October 2020
Works for Winds by This Composer
- America the Beautiful (arr. Coletti) (1882/)
- America the Beautiful (arr. Dragon) (1882/1963)
- America the Beautiful (arr. Edmondson) (1882/2006)
- America the Beautiful (arr. Gillingham) (1882/2018)
- America the Beautiful (arr. Gonzalez) (1882/)
- America the Beautiful (arr. Morales) (1882/2006)
- America the Beautiful (arr. Rothman) (1882/2014)
- America the Beautiful (arr. Robert W. Smith) (1882/1988)
- America the Beautiful (arr. Claude T. Smith) (1882/1983)
- America the Beautiful (arr. Swearingen) (1882/2006)
- America the Beautiful (arr. Walters) (1882/1958)
- God Shed His Grace on Thee (setting Glover) (1882/2002)
- From Sea to Shining Sea (arr. Barker) (2001)
- From Sea to Shining Sea (arr. Whitney; scored Wagner) (1882/1963/2017)
- Aldrich, Mark. A Catalog of Folk Song Settings for Wind Band. Meredith Music Publications, 2004, p. 3.
- America the Beautiful, Wikipedia Accessed 29 May 2016
- Anderson, Timothy. T. "America, the Beautiful: The Story Behind the Band Classic." The Instrumentalist vol. 72, June 2018.
- Paul, Timothy A., and Phyllis M. Winds and Hymns: Resource Guide to Hymns, Chorales, and Spirituals in Selected Wind Band Literature Meredith Music Publications, 2009, pp. 10-11.
- Ward, S.; Dragon, C. America the Beautiful [score]. Belwin Mills, 1963: [United States].