Amazing Grace (Himes)
B-flat Soprano Clarinet I-II-III
E-flat Alto Clarinet
B-flat Bass Clarinet
E-flat Alto Saxophone I-II
B-flat Tenor Saxophone
E-flat Baritone Saxophone
B-flat Trumpet I-II-III
Horn in F I-II-III-IV
(Percussion instrumentation undifferentiated in score)
None discovered thus far.
Amazing Grace is one of the world's most loved hymn tunes, and this glorious arrangement is sure to be popular with players and audiences alike. Beautifully crafted and eloquently scored, this reflective yet powerful arrangement builds to a glorious climax, perfectly blending the traditional melody with sumptuous new harmonies.
- Program Note by publisher
Amazing Grace is a song that transcends all boundaries. Used to inspire, celebrate, mourn, anguish, enlighten or heal, it's been a focus at one time or another in all of our lives. Its solemn phrases speak to all of us in different ways with memories of different times.
- Program Note from Flower Mound High School Wind Symphony concert program, 18 December 2015
The spiritual Amazing Grace was written by John Newton (1725–1807), a slaveship captain who, after years of transporting slaves across the Atlantic Ocean to the New World, suddenly saw through divine grace the evilness of his acts. First published in 1835 by William Walker in The Southern Harmony, it has since grown to become one of the most beloved of all American spirituals. Beautifully crafted, and eloquently scored, Himes’ reflective yet powerful arrangement builds to a glorious climax perfectly blending the traditional melody with sumptuous new harmonies.
- Program Note from University of North Carolina, Greensboro, Symphonic Band concert program, 29 November 2016
None discovered thus far.
- Louisiana: II
- Minnesota: III
To submit a performance please join The Wind Repertory Project
- Milaca (Minn.) High School Symphonic Band (Andrew Nelson, conductor) – 7 March 2020
- Brevard (N.C.) College Wind Ensemble (Eric Peterson, conductor) - 26 April 2016
- University of North Texas (Denton) University Band (Jacqueline Townsend, conductor) – 23 April 2018
- University of Michigan (Ann Arbor) Symphony Band (Michael Haithcock, conductor) – 6 April 2018
- University of Alabama (Tuscaloosa) University Band (Trevor Bailey, conductor) – 7 March 2018
- University of Wisconsin, Stevens Point, Symphonic Wind Ensemble (Michael Butler, conductor) – 22 February 2018
- West Virginia University Symphonic Band (Lindsey Williams, conductor) - 10 October 2017
- University of North Carolina, Greensboro, Symphonic Band (J. Benjamin Jones, conductor) – 29 November 2016
- Bemidji (Minn.) State University Wind Ensemble (Scott Guidry, conductor) – 30 October 2016
- Woodbury (Minn.) High School Concert Band (Tark Katzenmeyer, conductor) – 26 October 2016
- Arlington (Va.) Concert Band (James Kirchenbauer, conductor) – 9 April 2016
- Flower Mound (Texas) High School Wind Symphony (Brent Biskup, conductor) - 18 December 2015 (2015 Midwest Clinic)
- University of Georgia (Athens) Symphonic Band (Corinne Klemenc, conductor) - Spring 2014
Works for Winds by this Composer
- Accolade (2011)
- Amazing Grace (2011)
- Barbarossa (1995)
- Caprice (1989)
- Creed (1988)
- Kenya Contrasts (1996)
- Latin Folk Song Trilogy (2000)
- Life Dances (2002)
- Quest, The (Himes)
- Himes, W. (2001). Amazing Grace: For Wind Band [score]. Rosehill Music: Aylesbury.
- Lourens, Alan. "Amazing Grace. MBM Times, Issue 6 (2012), 60.