Alarums for Band
This work bears the designation Opus 27.
B-flat Clarinet I-II-III
E-flat Alto Saxophone I-II
B-flat Tenor Saxophone
E-flat Baritone Saxophone
B-flat Trumpet I-II-III-IV
Horn in F I-II-III-IV
Percussion I-II-III, including:
- Bass Drum
- Crash Cymbals
- Snare Drum
- Suspended Cymbal
None discovered thus far.
Mailman wrote Alarums for Band, Op. 27 in 1962 in Greenville, North Carolina. The title was suggested by fellow composer and close friend John Barnes Chance. The word "alarum" means a "call to arms", as with Shakespeare in his King Henry VI, Part 2, Act V, scene 2:
"And if thou dost not hide thee from the bear,
Now, when the angry trumpet sounds alarum
And dead men's cries do fill the empty air...."
The work was dedicated to and written "For Herbert Carter and the East Carolina College Band." Having met when Mailman was composer-in-residence at East Carolina University, Herbert Carter (the longtime director of bands at East Carolina University) and Mailman remained very close friends for the rest of their lives.
- Program Note by Matthew Mailman, son of the composer
None discovered thus far.
To submit a performance please join The Wind Repertory Project
Works for Winds by This Composer
- Alarums for Band, Op. 27 (1962)
- Alleluia for Chorus and Band, Op. 15 (1960)
- Association No. 1 for Band, Op. 45 (1968)
- Bouquets (1991)
- Commencement March for Band, Op. 14 (1960)
- Concertino for Clarinet and Band, Op. 83 (1990)
- Concertino for Trumpet and Band, Op. 31 (1963)
- Concerto for Wind Orchestra (Variations), Op. 89 (1993)
- Decorations for Band, Op. 54 (1974)
- Exaltations, Op. 67 (1981)
- For Precious Friends Hid in Death’s Dateless Night, Op. 80 (1988)
- Four Miniatures for Band, Op. 19 (1960)
- Four Variations in Search for a Theme for Narrator and Band, Op. 36, (1965)
- From the Leaves of Grass for Narrator, Chorus, and Band, Op. 30b (1963)
- Geometrics No. 1 for Band, Op. 22 (1961)
- Geometrics No. 2. See: Geometrics in Sound
- Geometrics No. 3 for Band, Op. 37 (1965)
- Geometrics No. 4 for Band, Op. 43 (1968)
- Geometrics No. 5 for Band, Op. 58 (1976)
- Geometrics in Sound (1964)
- Jewel in the Crown, Op. 78 (1987)
- Let Us Now Praise Famous Men for Band, Narrators, and Solo Voice, Op. 56 (1975)
- Liturgical Music for Band, Op. 33 (1963)
- Night Vigil, Op. 66 (1980)
- Overture 1962
- Partita for Band, Op. 10 (1958)
- Pledges for Band, Op. 98(1998)
- Secular Litanies, Op. 90 (1993)
- Shouts, Hymns, and Praises for Band, Op. 52 (1972)
- Simple Ceremony: In Memoriam John Barnes Chance, Op. 53 (1973)
- The Whaleman's Chapel, from "Moby Dick"
- Toward the Second Century, Op. 82 (1989)
- Mailman, M. (1969). Alarums: op 27 [score]. Mills Music: New York.
- Perusal score