Adrian B. Sims
Adrian B. Sims (b. 2000, Seattle, Wash.), is an emerging composer, conductor, educator, and trombonist.
Adrian graduated from Catonsville High School (Maryland) (class of 2018), and is pursuing a dual degree in music education and composition at The University of Maryland, working with Dr. Robert Gibson. He credits Dr. Gibson, professor of composition at The University of Maryland, and world-renowned composer Brian Balmages for his development as a composer.
His music has been played at The Midwest Band and Orchestra Clinic and selected for the Bandworld Top 100 List. Adrian has also been selected as a winner in multiple composition competitions including the Maryland Music Educators Association Young Composers Project and the Make Music Young Composers Contest. On many occasions, he has rehearsed and conducted his music in performances at schools across the state of Maryland.
As a trombonist, Adrian has performed in a wide variety of musical ensembles including pit and symphony orchestras as well as jazz and concert bands. In high school, he was selected to participate in the Maryland All-State Band several times and has played side by side with the Baltimore Symphony Orchestra. He currently plays in the top ensembles at The University of Maryland and studies with Matthew Guilford, solo bass trombonist with the National Symphony Orchestra.
Works for Winds
All Wind Works
- Beyond Reach (2021)
- A Builder's Dream (2021)
- Champions Rising (2020)
- Champions Rising (Flex instrumentation) (2020)
- Contraption (2018)
- Energy! (2020)
- Energy! (Flex instrumentation) (2020)
- Force Field (2019)
- Forgotten Tales of the West (2019)
- The Grid (2021)
- Niagara Falls (2019)
- Tectonic Plates (2020)
- Adrian B. Sims, personal correspondence, August 2020
- Adrian B. Sims website Accessed 1 August 2020
- Heritage Encyclopedia of Band Music. "Adrian B. Sims." Accessed 1 August 2020
- The Horizon Leans Forward…, compiled and edited by Erik Kar Jun Leung, GIA Publications, 2021, p. 476.