Aaron Perrine (pronounced per-EEN) (b. 1979, McGregor, Minnesota) is an American composer.
Dr. Perrine earned his Bachelor's Degree in trombone performance and music education with high distinction from the University of Minnesota, Morris, in 2002. While an undergraduate, he received the Edna Murphy Morrison Award, Daisy Hansen Award, Chancellor's Award, and multiple awards in composition from the Minnesota Music Educators Association.
After his time in Morris, Dr. Perrine moved to Minneapolis and began working on his Master's Degree. While at the University of Minnesota, Aaron studied composition with Judith Zaimont and jazz arranging with Dean Sorenson. He completed his Master's degree in 2006, and his Ph.D. in composition from the University of Iowa, studying with David Gompper and Lawrence Fritts. He is assistant professor of music at Cornell College, Mt. Vernon, Iowa.
Dr. Perrine has been commissioned and recorded by various colleges, high schools and middle schools across the country. One of his compositions, April, was a finalist in the first Frank Ticheli Composition Contest. This piece was also a J.W. Pepper "Editors' Choice" and was a featured composition in Teaching Music Through Performance in Band, Volume 7. Both his 2011 composition Pale Blue on Deep and his 2014 composition Only Light were awarded the prestigious ABA Sousa/Ostwald Prize.
Works for Winds
All Wind Works
- And Sings the Tune Without the Words (2020)
- April (2008)
- Beneath a Canvas of Green (2012/2018)
- Child Moon (2017)
- Concerto for Percussion and Wind Ensemble (2018)
- A Dream of Trees (2019)
- Fever Flash
- Floral Larceny (2018)
- Forever Radiant (2019)
- A Glimpse of the Eternal (2016)
- I was Just Looking at the World (2011)
- In the Open Air, in the Silent Lines (2018)
- In This Moment (2001/2011)
- Inner Sanctum (2010)
- Iris (2016)
- It Has to Be Beautiful (2018)
- Life Painting (2019)
- Life Painting (Adaptable Band) (2019/2020)
- Only Light (2014)
- Pale Blue on Deep (2011)
- Stained with Light
- Tears of St Lawrence (2014)
- Tears of St. Lawrence (Flex instrumentation) (2014/2020)
- Temperance (2016)
- ...to the wind (2014)
- Traces of Amber Sky (2018)